We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In UK airports are you asked reason for travel

Level Contributor
40 posts
In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

I will be travelling through the UK from an EU country.

One night layover. I am curious as to whether there are police or anyone for that matter asking your reason of travel. Whether its prior to airport entry, airport security or boarding. If so do you need to satisfy this with a valid reason.

I flew late last year through a UK airport and there was no such checks

21 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
30,851 posts
357 reviews
1,163 helpful votes
1. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

I'm guessing you have a reason to travel? If anyone does ask you for your reasons for travelling then just tell them what your reasons are.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,812 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
2. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

On arrival see https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

after self isoalting overnight then you need to go to the airport with a https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-declaration-form-for-international-travel

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,873 posts
18 reviews
119 helpful votes
3. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

Transit passengers are exempt from being required the Declaration of Travel form as per Schedule 4A of the current regulations.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1374?view=plain

That does include some people entering the country as one definition in the instrument for transit passengers is "enters the United Kingdom for the sole purpose of continuing a journey to a country or territory outside the common travel area ". This exemption is also continued in the text of the SI laid down for March 29th onward. Schedule 6 in this one.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/364/contents/made

However, the airline are supposed to ask for it - you would have to indicate your exempt status - assuming you meet the definition cited above or another one in that section.

The reason you didn't see it last year was the Declaration and a requirement for it is a recently introduced requirement. Which SI will count depends on when exactly you travel (before or after March 29th - and that no relevant changes are made to the proposed text for the SI covering 29th March onward.

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
116 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

Yes, you will be asked for your PLF and a negative PCR test result by UKBF.

Edited: March 24, 2021, 5:18 pm
Level Contributor
40 posts
5. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

Yes I have a reason. However onevoersons view of essential may differ than another's

Level Contributor
40 posts
6. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

Pm questions

With the form you linked

Would a valid reason for leaving the country is that I'm in transit. I don't live in the UK just pasding through

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,873 posts
18 reviews
119 helpful votes
7. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

Noticing Richard's reply - to be clear, mine covers only your departing the UK having arrived and not the arrival into the UK side. You need the paperwork and test there.

Level Contributor
40 posts
8. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

Yes, you will be asked for your PLF and a negative PCR test result by UKBF.

I will have a PCR coming from my country of origin.

And the PLF form us just to say where I'm staying is it not?

Level Contributor
40 posts
9. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

Myrm

Yes I'm only interested in leaving the UK from an airport.

In my country there are strict measures to stop people travelling without a valid reason.

Uniformed police (not airport police) on entry to the airport and police on arrivals landing at the airport. If the reason for travel is not deemed essential by them they can fine you on the spot a large sum if money.

Level Contributor
40 posts
10. Re: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Save

Myrm as you've kindly linked the relevant information I take it I am exempt. Once I arrive at the port I will be allowed leave the UK and ok continuing on my journey?

There is no such law enforcement like in my country? Even if there was I wouldn't have to worry if they deemed my journey essential as it would be irrelevant as I am exempt and allowed to travel.

Do I have this right?

There's no way they could make me return to my country of origin?

Reply to: In UK airports are you asked reason for travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.