We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

My daughter, (an American currently living/working in the UK on a work visa - who has a resident card), was planning to meet us in Florida to attend a small memorial gathering for her Grandmother, who passed in November but due to Covid, etc.. we delayed the memorial due to the difficulty in gathering family members traveling during the pandemic. She understands she will have to do the before/after testing.. #9 (d) states 'to attend a funeral'. We are unsure of what proof to provide her with for the declaration? We are simply having a gathering at a family member's home (not a funeral home). Who can we ask this question to? She is nervous to show up at airport only to get denied (or fined) using this reason for travel.

29 replies to this topic
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
76 reviews
112 helpful votes
1. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

It’s not a funeral though is it? It’s a memorial service.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

That is correct. She had donated her body to science (university) and they only recently provided us with her ashes.

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
116 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

Up to you if course, but the UK Government has just announced £5000 fines for non-essential travel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

That is precisely what she is nervous about.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
76 reviews
112 helpful votes
5. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

Perhaps she could take part via Zoom or similar.

I think if you have to ask if something is essential then it’s pretty clear it’s not.

Plenty of people have missed actual funerals of loved ones.

Perhaps you could postpone until she is able to travel?

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

It's sad that she can't attend and you all be together at this sad time .

However, there's a global pandenic, no-one else really suffers if she can't be there (conversely international travel brings risks) and as there's been a cremation already, then there's no specific time that an interrment of ashes or memorial has to take place.

If it's ESSENTIAL that she is there with you, you'll have to set a future date.

Rob
Level Contributor
325 posts
7. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

I just can not understand the type of human being who thinks it is appropriate for them to volunteer to tell a stranger that they should attend their grand mother's memorial via zoom.

Really makes me depressed about the human race if this is all that we have amounted to.

Rob
Level Contributor
325 posts
8. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

OP, it is a waste of time asking questions of that nature on this forum as it is infested by people who consider it their moral obligation to tell the world that their journey is not suitably "essential".

A "reasonable excuse" is needed to travel, which INCLUDES the reasons listed in Schedule 5.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
76 reviews
112 helpful votes
9. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

I think you over use the word depressed. It’s very sad, yes, as are a lot of things these days. But sad and depressed are different things.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Save

I recently attended a friend's funeral ( here in U.K.) by Zoom. Although 3 of her children were present in person, there was no way the one living in the States could come in person. There was no expectation that he could or would, in the present circumstances. Hence the Zoom provision.

I'm someone who thinks that funeral rites and memorials are very important. But these are abnormal times; the expectations and norms have to be different. My father lost all his family in Eastern Europe in the global emergency of WW2. Lack of funerals was the least of the problems. He was lucky to survive.

Keep a sense of perspective. There will be no major repercussions for anyone if your daughter can't attend. She'll regret that she couldn't be with you, of course, especially if the death was devastating for her; perhaps it was the first close death she's experienced in the family, or she was particularly close to her grandmother.? But non-attendance at the memorial won't seriously blight her life more that the death itself, will it? So how can it be 'essential'?

Arrange that she can Zoom/Skype, for the gathering itself, or with several of you the same day.

If it's important for her, you'll no doubt feel that she's there in spirit anyway.

Reply to: SCHEDULE 5 Reasonable Excuses?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about United Kingdom
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.