We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jurassic coast in Dorset

Warrington, United...
7 posts
Jurassic coast in Dorset
Save

I’m looking for some advice as to where to stay in July. My wife & I are travelling from the North West & will be staying with some friends in Exeter before we set off for 5 or 6 nights on the Jurassic coast. We like quiet & quaint with nice restaurants & of course the sea. We are hoping to throw in a few days on the Isle if White at the end of it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
18 reviews
59 helpful votes
1. Re: Jurassic coast in Dorset
Save

Hello John,

The Jurassic Coast is close to 100 miles long and I'd imagine that this July, your options will be limited to what's available. I fear that the decent restaurants will be pretty much booked up for then as well, and nowhere will be quiet. Anyway, starting from east to west ...

I'd consider Lulworth Cove if you can. There's a good restaurant/hotel at Limestone and it's quintessentially quaint. Also look at The Pig on the Beach at Studland which has good food, sensational views and beautiful coast walks. Some of the best sand beaches in the area are found at Studland.

Farther west, Abbotsbury is another picture postcard village backing Chesil Beach (shingle) but accommodation will be B&B. Bridport, Burton Bradstock and West Bay are a foodie enclave and The Hive and The Clubhouse are two good places I've tried. Rachel's does good fish and chips in West Bay (this all assumes that everything will eventually be up and running as before).

Last before you get to Devon is Lyme Regis, which is neither quaint nor quiet but has a lot of character and one of the county's best seafood restaurants, Mark Hix's Oyster and Fish House. Another little-known beach at this end is Eype, a tiny village which has a sea-facing hotel (Eype's Mouth) on it.

Good luck! I'll throw in a wild card, one of my favourite places to eat and stay. It's not on a beach, but judge it on its own merits: The Priory in Wareham, an old, walled enclave on the banks of the tidal Frome in Poole Harbour. Lovely ambience, even better food, plenty to see and do around there and 20min's drive from Studland's beaches.

Edited: March 23, 2021, 7:23 am
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
226 reviews
136 helpful votes
2. Re: Jurassic coast in Dorset
Save

From my own experience of booking holidays in the uk this summer, you might be hard pressed to find anything decent left. 😒

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
116 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Jurassic coast in Dorset
Save

Assuming you can find accommodation, Swanage is nice with it's beach, steam railway and several good pubs/restaurants.

Kent, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
45 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: Jurassic coast in Dorset
Save

Swanage is a favourite of ours too. Nice bit if beach with a few shops and eateries, as already mentioned there is a steam railway that takes you up to Corfe Castle which is a nice trip out and you are in driving distance of places like Wareham, lulworth Cove, the famous Monkey World or take the ferry over to Poole.

Reply to: Jurassic coast in Dorset
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about United Kingdom
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.