We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new regulations for leaving england - march 2021

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

subject to parliament these new regs will come in on monday 29

they require a reasonable excuse to leave england to travel outside the common travel area

the reasonable excuse includes a list very similar to the current list of reasonable excuses for leaving home so it doesnt change very much but will allow the stay home regulations to be eased whilst still restricting international travel

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/364/made

10 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
1. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

At a very cursory glance, (basically page 93) there are two things here. Restrictions on gatherings and businesses, and restrictions on leaving the UK. Very much what we were expecting. But there's no other restrictions on individuals. There may be guidance to follow about, say, staying local and minimising travel, but it's not going to be law.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
48,199 posts
103 reviews
425 helpful votes
2. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56493002

We have holidays booked for August, so will need to follow the new regulations very carefully.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
316 reviews
150 helpful votes
3. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

I got befuddled (I’m getting old and it happens a lot). There’s a restriction on leaving England to travel outside the United Kingdom,

So, can I leave England to travel to Scotland? If so why can’t I go to the Channel Islands?

Assuming the the decision is for the Scottish Government to allow me to enter Scotland (or similarly Wales and Northern Ireland) why is England deciding for the Channel Islands? Is it a definition thing around GB / UK? It it a muddle caused by there being no English government?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

There is no muddle, the link Tilly gave says you can go from England to the Channel Islands "unless that is not the final destination".

The Channel Islands are not part of the UK and the UK government cannot ban people from there going to say France. Just like they can't ban people from travelling from the Republic of Ireland. But they can ban people travelling from England to those place for the purposes of then travelling further which is what thousands had already thought of doing.

So if you want to go to Jersey (and the Jersey Government will let you) then you can - but if you then get the ferry to France you will be breaking English law. In reality this is recognition of the Dublin backdoor problem we've seen in the other direction and hopefully they will have plans to tighten up on that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

as per my OP these restrictions are to travel from england to outside the common travel area

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-guidance/common-travel-area-guidance

the CTA includes the UK Mann Jersey Guernsey and Ireland

Edited: March 23, 2021, 6:39 pm
Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
316 reviews
150 helpful votes
6. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

@steve8472..

Perhaps I didn’t make my cause of confusion clear. Part 3, section 8 on page 13 makes no referent to anything other than leaving the UK (which excludes the CI).

Tilly ‘s link to the BBC clearly states you can travel to the CI but because there’s no search function I can’t find the relevant provision in the SI linked in the first post. Maybe there’s another SI or the provision is buried somewhere in the text (but I can’t find it), maybe they are working on a separate SI with the CI administrations.

As it stands (and subject to my inability to find a provision) the BBC appear to have added in a CI travel path that doesn’t exist.

Edited: March 23, 2021, 6:52 pm
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

There is a search function on all pages if using Windows, it's CTRL+F - if using a Mac or a phone I can't help. But you need to search for "common travel area" - the exemption is in Schedule 5:-

"Reasonable excuses to travel outside the United Kingdom

1. Where P is travelling to a destination in the common travel area (unless that destination is not P’s final destination). "

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
316 reviews
150 helpful votes
8. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

Thanks steve - strange it’s a “reasonable excuse” not a stand alone part or even in the relevant section. Still a mess though. I have a right to leave England for Scotland, Wales or NI (but no right of entry) and a reasonable excuse to leave England for the CI, IoM or Eire but not if I intend to go elsewhere from those countries (which is clearly a challenge to enforce).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
9. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

it must be said as with most of these laws the reporting by newspapers has been dreadful - full of errors

no doubt the often erroneous ministerial statements dont help

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Save

and bear in mind this still has ot be approved by Parliament.

Agreed, the onward travel bit will be a challenge to enforce but at least they thought of something and didn't wait for stories of heavily laden flights from Dublin, which is progress of sorts!

Don't forget, travel to other territories in the CTA also requires the other country to allow it, Channel Islands are edging towards it, IoM is not, Ireland probably somewhat later.

Reply to: new regulations for leaving england - march 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.