We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?

7 posts
Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK that does not require the day 2 & 8 Covid test kit for international arrivals.

I'm trying to anticipate whether, when connecting in Heathrow, I will be asked for proof of purchase of this test kit.

Heathrow website states:

"If you have a boarding pass issued for your onward journey, you will be able to stay airside during your connection. This means that when you arrive into Heathrow, you will not need to pass through immigration or customs and can follow the purple signs for connections and make your way to the departing gate once it opens."

I have read in pre-Covid forum posts that there is at least some form of passport control when transferring from international to UK domestic flight.

Do you think the UK will demand the proof of testing kit? Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
65,303 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

'I have read in pre-Covid forum posts that there is at least some form of passport control when transferring from international to UK domestic flight.' Notwithstanding Sars-CoV-2 or pandemic guidelines, pax arriving from an international destination with a connection to a domestic flight go through passport control at the first point of entry, in this case Heathrow.

Having said that, your post is unclear. From what city will you fly to Heathrow and then (presumably) on to Belfast? Have you got a single through ticket or separate tickets from ???-LHR and LHR-Belfast? What passport do you hold? Let us know more, please.

7 posts
2. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

Thanks, I have UK residency and EU passport. Flying Mexico City to London, then few hours later to Belfast. All one itinerary with British Airways.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,044 posts
396 reviews
147 helpful votes
3. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

>>there is at least some form of passport control when transferring from international to UK domestic flight.<<

There's not some form of passport control, there either is or isn't.

Is Belfast your actual final destination, or are you just trying to use this is a loophole to travel elsewhere?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36,444 posts
81 reviews
67 helpful votes
4. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

if you are on a through ticket to belfast, then, if your final destination is belfast, you will need to adhere to the rules about testing and quarantining, as belfast is part of the uk.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

for a domestic flight connection you will go through immigration control at heathrow

i cannot see any allowance in the regulations for transit passengers arriving in england but are transiting to leave england for another part of the UK to not have to book the 2/8 tests even if the final destination does not require the 2/8 tests to be taken

so i think you need to book them

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/568/contents

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

you enter the UK at Heathrow. Border controls are done there and for immigration purposes domestic flights are no different than train connections (but ID may be checked for security purposes, nothing to do with immigration or covid).

from the NI Goverment website:-

When travelling to Northern Ireland, via Great Britain or the Republic of Ireland, you will be required to follow any new requirements for managed quarantine and additional testing that have been introduced in those regions.

International travellers to Northern Ireland, via Great Britain must comply with the managed quarantine and testing requirements of the region where you crossed the UK border to enter the UK.

Edited: March 22, 2021, 6:10 pm
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

"International travellers to Northern Ireland, via Great Britain must comply with the managed quarantine and testing requirements of the region where you crossed the UK border to enter the UK." This is useful and is consistent with the UK Government page about transiting - where the exemption does not apply if you are entering the UK and staying within the UK (here, under 'transiting' heading, the exemption from the travel test package does NOT apply to people staying within the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
34 reviews
30 helpful votes
8. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

There are currently no international flights arriving into Northern Ireland hence no requirement.

7 posts
9. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

Hmm, I guess the Heathrow airport information was inaccurate. They should have mentioned that bypassing immigration didn't apply to domestic flights.

"Where P is an adult who arrives in England without possessing a testing package required under paragraph (2), P must as soon as practicable obtain such a testing package."

It doesn't sound like I'll be fined for not having the testing package on arrival...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36,444 posts
81 reviews
67 helpful votes
10. Re: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Save

it is all rather vague and i can understand your confusion. when you land in heathrow, you will land at the international terminal, but will have to come airside to reach the domestic terminal. but there must be some point where your actual entry is checked. i realise that there are no international flights into belfast, but there must still be an immigration check of some sort to catch possible visa holders. so i wouldnt take it that there would be no check in belfast. and of course, there is some point at which you will officialy enter the uk. but sorry, i do not know where you are going to have to isolate. but i presume that you have made arrangements to isolate in belfast?

Reply to: Testing Kit to Transit Heathrow to Belfast?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about United Kingdom
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.