We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit between London airports during covid

3 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Transit between London airports during covid
Save

Hi people, I've been looking for the info but can't find it. I would have a flight but I should transit from Luton to Gatwick. Is it possible during the UK lockdown? I'm afraid my entry will be denied.

An EU citizen

12 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20,808 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

You haven’t given enough information to get an answer.

What passport do you hold and where will you be arriving from? How much time do you have between these flights. Also when are you due to travel

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

the very big question is where are you coming from??? There is a ban on flights from some countries and even UK citizens have problems getting here.

Where you are going to has 2 problems. If it's a flight ban country you can't because the airlines need to fly both directions! And some countries have entry restrictions from UK.

You would need a pre departure PCR test to enter UK, they may also try to charge you £210 for day 2 and 5 tests which you can't take, and use of public transport between Luton and Gatwick is not permitted - you would need private car transfer or a hire car. I'm guessing this is not a through connection ticket so you would need to allow a long time between flights.

UK
Level Contributor
13,890 posts
24 reviews
41 helpful votes
3. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

"use of public transport between Luton and Gatwick is not permitted"

That's not quite what the UK government web site says. It says

"Only use public transport if you have no other option."

And this is merely advice. If there was an actual prohibition then the wording used would be different. "You must not use public transport unless you have no other option"

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,833 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
4. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

Currently international travel is illegal FROM England; your issue is that you must enter the UK at Luton (and with a with Test in place and a passenger Locator Form ready) and then you are subject to English rules and you should not be travelling; as the Government website says:

"Foreign nationals are subject to the ‘Stay at Home’ regulations. You should not travel abroad unless it is permitted. This means you must not go on holiday."

there are changes afoot in the weeks ahead hence knowing more of your detail is necessary - and do note the UK government is disincentivizing travel so you ought not to take this particular routing right now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
396 reviews
147 helpful votes
5. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

I don't think you have a flight that transits those airports. I think you have a flight to Luton and another flight from Gatwick. In that situation, that's not allowed.

UK
Level Contributor
13,890 posts
24 reviews
41 helpful votes
6. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

#4, I believe "foreign nationals" refers to foreign nationals resident in the UK, not to visitors or people in transit - the government is making it clear that we (the 3 million, and others) are not exempt from the rules just because we are not British.

As I understand it visitors who were in the UK when the country went into lockdown were allowed to leave, and I am not aware of any rules that prohibit transit.

"Currently international travel is illegal FROM England" - no, that's only non-essential travel.

#5 - " In that situation, that's not allowed". Are you sure? Do you have a link for this?

Edited: March 21, 2021, 3:20 am
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
48,290 posts
67 reviews
118 helpful votes
7. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

Armrest, can you give a link for that as we have another question the same on this forum?

I've only seen 'transiting' describing arriving at one airport and leaving by another. No mention of individual flights.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

@Aviatrix: He has other options - hire a car or arrange a private transfer, Therefore use of public transport is NOT permitted. Stop encouraging this sort of mad journey.

UK
Level Contributor
13,890 posts
24 reviews
41 helpful votes
9. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

How about using a bit of common sense?

For this particular journey I would argue that the train - a direct train from Gatwick to Luton - is probably he one that requires the least close contact with other people. I certainly feel much safer on a train than cooped up in a car with a driver for hours.

And as I said in another thread, the danger of the virus being spread by someone who spends a few hours in transit (after a recent Covid test) is probably a lot less than the danger of the virus being spread in supermarkets by people who have simply gone about their normal business. It's so sad to see the xenophobia that Covid has brought about.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
10. Re: Transit between London airports during covid
Save

"How about using a bit of common sense?" - steady on, that will never do!

There are rules and then there is guidance, people do seem to mix them up.

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter what individuals feel about the potential to spread or catch the virus, it is up to officialdom.

If the proposals suggested by some are within the rules then that gives the OP some helpful advice. If those are only not in line with guidance then those who disapprove can tut loudly.

Sadly Xenophobia was on the increase prior to COVID

Edited: March 21, 2021, 7:30 pm
Reply to: Transit between London airports during covid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.