We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Pantomime

Brisbane, Australia
13 posts
Christmas Pantomime
Save

Hello,

We are a family of 5 visiting from Australia on our very first overseas holiday.

We are thinking a pantomime might be a nice thing to do with the kids and was wondering if anyone has feedback on this company or recommendations for other pantos to see.

Thanks

https://www.chickenshed.org.uk/Event/christmas-carol

London, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
16 reviews
54 helpful votes
1. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

I’m sure the Chicken Shed production will be lovely, Scrooge isn’t really a pantomime though. The Chicken Shed is a company known for its inclusive policy and has many young disabled as well as able bodied performers. It has been around for a long time, Princess Diana was their most famous patron.

The top panto in London is the one at the London Palladium- well known performers ( Dawn French this year is the star, they’re doing Snow White ) and fabulous staging and effects. I love it every year.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
48,214 posts
67 reviews
118 helpful votes
2. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

That sounds good.

A panto is really a funny play made from well know fairy stories. I think it would suit the Aussie humour too.

It's hard to make recommendations when we don't know where in the UK you are going to be as they are performed all over the different countries.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
10,561 posts
127 reviews
71 helpful votes
3. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

Great idea to see a Panto and would agree that a production of Christmas Carol isn't in the normal vein of Panto.

Please do read up on Panto etiquette. :-))))

Audience participation is encouraged and the vocal chords will take a strain with the Children in shouting the opposite of what the actors may want. "Oh not it's not!!" a small example of disagreeing with a line.

"Look behind you" is another and you may well be surprised at the gusto of younger attenders.

Great fun for those aged 8 to 80

If you have attended one before then you will know what to expect if you haven't then be invited to join in with maximum enthusiasm!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
72 reviews
124 helpful votes
4. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

Where in the UK are you visiting!?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
8,336 posts
27 reviews
26 helpful votes
5. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

A Christmas Carol is a traditional Christmas play, but it’s not a pantomime, and isn’t billed by Chickenshed as one. If you want pantomime then, loath though I am to advise you not to go to such a worthy company, this is not the performance you are looking for...

London, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
6. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

For me it would have to be Aladdin at the Hackney Empire. Top class proper panto. https://www.timeout.com/london/theatre/aladdin-29

Clitheroe, United...
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
201 reviews
145 helpful votes
7. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

Highest prices, but promising.

It's the London Palladium !

https://officiallondontheatre.com/news/first-look-dawn-french-and-the-cast-of-snow-white-in-costume/

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,520 posts
327 reviews
94 helpful votes
8. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

The Palladium will be good but expect a lot of adult humour too.

Brisbane, Australia
13 posts
9. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

Thanks for all of your responses.

Sorry we will be in London, I didn’t realise there was a more specific forum, should have mentioned this. We will be staying opposite St Pancres Station.

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
72 reviews
124 helpful votes
10. Re: Christmas Pantomime
Save

St Pancres station doesn't exist! 😉

Edited: 2 years ago
Get answers to your questions about United Kingdom
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.