We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

SK
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

I know there is so much to see in Sintra and we won't see everything (we have only scheduled one day unfortunately), so I have narrowed down our choices to:

Moorish Castle

Pena Palace (only the park, not the palace)

Quinta de Regaleira (only the grounds, not the interior)

I'd also like to see Monserrate Palace, but I am wondering if 4 things is too many.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Monserrate Palace
Monserrate Palace
1,637 Reviews
Sintra, Portugal
13 replies to this topic
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
518 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

PP - we managed only the 3 you have chosen also. I wouldn't say it is reasonable to consider the 4th.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,701 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

I would say too many, specially now that the traffic directions were changed in Sintra, the road to Monserrate is one way only so you'll lose losts of time to add it. But if you do Moors, Pena, Regaleira and at the end of Regaleira you still have at least 3h for the last entry on Monserrate you can try it. The bus to Monserrate stops at Regaleira, and you can be there waiting for quite a while due to the traffic, so take you decision while there.

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
SK
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

Okay good plan - we will stick with the first 3, and if for some reason we have lots of extra time available we can go check out Montserrate.

That being said, if you had to pick 3 out of those 4, would you pick Moorish Castle, Pena Palace, and Quinta de Regaleira? Or would you swap one of those out and go see Monserrate instead?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,701 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

Swap the moorish castle and go to Monserrate.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
518 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

Interesting...we enjoyed the Moorish castle (& Regaleira even more so), but having not seen Monserrate, I obviously couldn't compare. Guess we'll have to have to get to Monserrate too...sometime!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,701 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

Well how many castles are there in Portugal? The Moorish it's just another one with views, and if you go to Pena Palace you can have the same views... Monserrate is unique.

Mentioned in this post
SK
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

Interesting, ptnov64, I was actually considering the same thing. I've tried finding out more about each spot, and the Moorish Castle seems like it is mainly a walk along the old walls with great views of the surrounding area. Is there more to it than that? I am sure we would enjoy that, but Monserrate looks quite intriguing.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,701 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

Is there more to it than that? No, it's a normal portuguese castle (wall and towers to walk or go up to).

SK
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

So if we skip the Moorish Castle and go with the other 3, what would you recommend:

1. Bus 434 to Pena Palace, then Bus 435 to Regaleira and then Monserrate.

OR

2. Bus 435 to Regaleira and then Monserrate, and then Bus 434 to Pena Palace.

I assume both buses go into town and that's where we would get off and switch buses, correct?

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?

the route bus 435 takes from monserrate to sintra train station takes a different route from when i last caught it so if you do decide to take option 2 i would consider staying on bus 435 to the train station then pick up bus 434 to pena palace.this will help with times and routes

www.scotturb.com

Reply to: Can/Should we squeeze in Monserrate?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sintra Municipality