We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Tahoe 2-3 day trip

11 posts
Lake Tahoe 2-3 day trip
Save

Hello,

My dad and I plan to go to Tahoe either early September or early October (exact dates are up in the air). We are outdoorsy and would like to spend as much time as possible on the trails or in the water (canoeing/kayaking). Ive found quite a few hikes I'm interested in on the alltrails app, but am curious what are the hikes we "cant miss" while there and what to skip of we have limited time. (I've seen: cascade falls, wild plum loop, horsetail falls, echo lakes, angora lakes, lovers leap trail, vikingsholm trails, and emerald point trail.) What suggestions do you have for hikes? Keep in mind, we would not be considered "expert" climbers, but do not have any issues with elevation, long hikes, etc.... Also, are boat rentals available? Is it worth it? Anywhere cool to explore on the water?

Any memorable places to eat or stay?

Appreciate any guidance!

Chester, California
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
97 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Lake Tahoe 2-3 day trip
Save

You've picked out some nice, easy trails. No climbing required. Tahoe has tons of fabulous hiking and but in all my years of hiking here I've yet to find a 'can't miss' - they are all good in different ways. Emerald Bay itself is a 'can't miss' but you get the best view from the rim above.

Boat rentals are available but expensive, you might look into taking a cruise if budget is a concern.

The coolest place to explore by water is Sand Harbor, another must-see. Kayak rentals are available on the beach there in the summer and September. You might need to make other arrangements in October.

11 posts
2. Re: Lake Tahoe 2-3 day trip
Save

Thank you! What is the most appropriate clothing to wear hiking in fall here?

Chester, California
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
97 reviews
19 helpful votes
3. Re: Lake Tahoe 2-3 day trip
Save

Depends on when in the fall. Early to mid September is more like summer. Mid September through mid October is what most consider fall. Always check the weather - it can change rapidly that time of year.

For mid to late fall hiking: hiking shoes, boots or trail runners. Long pants/tights, shell, fleece, beanie, gloves (It can be cold in the morning).

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
5,126 posts
38 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Lake Tahoe 2-3 day trip
Save

If you're still looking for accommodations it sounds like you're the type that would like The Franciscan Lakeside Lodge in Tahoe Vista. In past summers I know there was a guy that would show up on the lake just off their private beach with SUP Boards, Kayaks, Jet Skis etc. for rent. Just swim out...hand him some money and away you go. I'm not sure if he's there in Sept. Oct.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5. Re: Lake Tahoe 2-3 day trip
Save

Outdoorsy if you are trying to get away from crowds, noise, and waiting times? That might mean looking away from from the main Lake during a weekend, for your walks and kayaking.

6. Re: Lake Tahoe 2-3 day trip

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: May 31, 2019, 3:16 pm
Get answers to your questions about Lake Tahoe (California)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.