We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
29 helpful votes
Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

I have been seeing quite a few stories on the news about complete chaos at Pearson. Massive line-ups, not enough staff, and cancelled flights.

I am due to fly out at 900am Sunday morning on Westjet and am getting a bit nervous, especially since it takes me 3 hours to get to the airport itself. Return flight is the next Sunday, at 830pm

I was hoping to hear from people who have recently flown out of (or into) Pearson Terminal 3.

Is it as bad as the media is making it seem? Thanks.

28 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
79 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

We flew out on KLM on May 13, and returned on May 30. I am happy to say that everything went smoothly at Terminal 3. The Nexus machine could not get a picture of me, and we headed to an agent, who sent us on our way. We don’t take checked bags, so we were off the plane and outside within 30 minutes; it was a long walk from the gate.

Pirate 🏴‍☠️

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
891 posts
24 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

It would help if you told us where you are flying to, and whether or not you will have checked luggage.

If you are flying domestic or international with carry-on, you only have security to deal with, which shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

If you have to deal with bag drop, that will add time, and USA pre-clearance will add even more. Most of the issues and missed flights seem to be with those travelling to the US.

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
102,486 posts
99 reviews
631 helpful votes
3. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

Hi JTS550;

More info is needed.

Are you leaving on a domestic flight, heading to the US or another international destination?

Where will you be flying in from?

It appears that most of the cancelled flights are on American carriers due to a lack of airline staff.

Best Regards

Edited: June 08, 2022, 5:33 am
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
79 reviews
89 helpful votes
4. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

Perhaps I should have added that our first flight was domestic, to Montreal on Westjet/ coshare with KLM., and then on to Amsterdam. Return was international direct from Amsterdam.

Pirate 🏴‍☠️

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

Thank you all for the replies, and apologies for not providing enough info.

My plan is to fly Westjet from Toronto to Saint Lucia, leaving at 900am on Sunday and returning the following Sunday at 830pm. I will need to check two bags. I understand I should be at the airport by 600am latest for my departure, but have been wondering if even that is enough.

Then I read about people being made to stay on the plane for up to 3 hours upon arrival due to the backlog at customs - this would seriously affect my ability to book the transfer home from Pearson.

I just read about a hockey player who went through the wringer trying to get to Boston on Air Canada, which is what prompted me to check on the forum. I know the media can make things seem worse than they are, which is why I wanted to ask for first-hand experience here.

Thanks again.

gxp
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
31 reviews
38 helpful votes
6. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

CATSA has a web page with updated times for clearing security. Not sure how accurate.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/airport/toronto-pearson-international-airport

Canada
Level Contributor
17,562 posts
94 reviews
85 helpful votes
7. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

Ryan Whitneys rant was just a way of getting the attention that he never achieved as a hockey player.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
79 reviews
89 helpful votes
8. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

@mathlady, maybe so; I don’t follow sports, so he is just a name to me. However, your assessment does not negate the reality of the chaos at Pearson which we encountered in March, and again in April.

Pirate 🏴‍☠️

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
102,486 posts
99 reviews
631 helpful votes
9. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

Funny one, mathladyca49!

Federal policies need to change and additional staff need to be hired!! I urge all Canadians to contact your MP and make your concerns known.

The ongoing problems at Pearson are expected to remain through the summer months and that is no joke!

Best Regards

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
58 reviews
42 helpful votes
10. Re: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Save

I’ve just seen all this and the situation has filled me with even more dread, as over herein the UK Manchester airport is experiencing similar issues, I was already worried about flying out from there, now I’m worried about landing at Toronto!! I hope so much that these issues are sorted for the summer holidays, I really didn’t think this was an international issue I thought it was just us that were witnessing this shocking service.

Hope it goes well for you and if anyone knows if it is just a specific area of incoming flights can you let me know, like is it just land border issues from the US? Is it domestic? Or is it international arrivals too, or everything 😒

Reply to: Situation at Pearson Terminal 3?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.