We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire or use public transport?

manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
car hire or use public transport?

we're coming to Vancouver from Rockies on 22nd June, staying for 5 nights to see some sights. We've got free parking at our hotel, but are wondering whether we'll need to keep the car on or not?

If taking it back we'd have to drop off at vancouver airport and get downtown on public transport and vice versa, and would be reliant on public transport for the duration of our stay.

The other option is to hang onto the car, will use it for airport run on way home and have it available if we decide we want to drive out somewhere....

Its approx £150 cost to keep the car, between 4 of us travellers.

Those of you who know Vancouver well, what would you do? We've not been before so will no doubt be seeing all the classic sights of a first time traveller, rather than getting off the beaten track I guess.

I know I'm just seeking an opinion, but i would be glad to hear some advice?

thanks

Caroline

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire or use public transport?

A public transport daypass will cost you $ 9 a day p.p.. which is about the same amount you spend on the car. Of course, when you use the car in Vancouver you'll have to pay parking fees, but splitting that with 3 others won't hurt your budget too much.

With the free hotel parking you already got, I'd keep the car. It's easy for the airport run with the luggage and if you decide to drive to Whistler or somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,056 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire or use public transport?

for most people just walking around Vanc seems to be the easiest. Car parking is a hassle and expensive. If I had a car with free parking then I'd use the car to drive thru Stanley Park. You pay but you can move the car. That is the easiest with 4 people. I'd also use the car to drive up to Whistler or take the ferry to Vancouver Island or onto Victoria. otherwise its not really needed. Ask if you can drop the car at Canada Place downtown as that will save you the trip to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Stanley Park
Stanley Park
24,433 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Canada Place
Canada Place
2,198 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,763 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire or use public transport?

£150 is a good chunk of money to do something else with. I would sort your sightseeing/attractions itinerary for your 5 days here by putting the 2-3 most distant attractions on the first day, then return the car that evening. Then use public transit or more likely you will walk. Vancouver's public transit is very good.

I think I've read on the forums that you would have to pay a one way drop fee if you returned the car to a different Vancouver location. If you do need to return it to YVR, there is the nearby village of Steveston and the Gulf of Georgia Cannery that could be incorporated into that necessity to make a half day out of it. Can be done on transit from YVR, or with the car before returning it. The village was a big player in our salmon fishing industry and the excellent docents at the Cannery show you the historic canning process from fish to tin can. Cute village too in its own right.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire or use public transport?

150 quid split four ways when a transit pass each is going to cost you $40 a day anyway.... its so close as to make no difference. As you have free parking (a big clincher in making the decision) I'd just keep it. You will almost certainly leave it parked for a couple of days, but it will be very convenient if you decided to visit some major attractions outside of the main city core, like the Museum of Anthropology at UBC, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery national historic site in Richmond, Fort Langley national historic site in Langley, Whistler or take a ferry to one of the islands.

Mentioned in this post
Museum of Anthropology
Museum of Anthropology
3,274 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
Langley
Langley
British Columbia, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Level Contributor
30 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire or use public transport?

Hi Caroline,

I'd hold on to the car - just to get you to and from the airport - a taxi is about $30 each way. Public Transport is great in Vancouver - but with bags, and four of you - a car might be easier to hold on to the car, especially if you have free parking.

It's easy enough to fill up 4 days with downtown Vancouver attractions and sites, but its also spectacular to take one day and drive up to Squamish - the views are amazing along the way, there's a great micro brew in Squamish, Howe Sound Brewery, and if you're feeling energetic you can drive another 40 minutes to Whistler and see that!

Enjoy!

ClaireFromYVR (twitter)

Edited: December 31, 2012, 5:53 am
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Squamish
Squamish
British Columbia, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire or use public transport?

thanks everyone, we've decided to keep it on, for the convenience factor, even if it means we don't use it to its full potential

great to get your expert views, thanks x

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire or use public transport?

As you are coming from the Rockies, keep in mind that the National Parks Discovery Pass is also valid at the National Historic Sites, so if you decided to get one, the entry to those two venues is free for you.

8. Re: car hire or use public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: January 04, 2014, 6:17 pm