We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
121 posts
79 reviews
62 helpful votes
Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat
Save

My husband gets sea sick very easily and while yes we will be taking Bonine, would prefer a larger type of boat with a bathroom. We are staying at PA and am wondering which tour operator to go with that would be nearby as well?

Thank you,

Jen

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
34,680 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat
Save

onislamujeres.com

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
276 reviews
155 helpful votes
2. Re: Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat
Save

I have been with On Isla Mujeres Waters with Jorge del O two times. I would not consider it to be an extremely large boat, but it is a nice size vessel. It holds over a dozen people comfortably. Though we have never gotten sick on the boat, a friend did last summer. This could have been due to his drinking a large amount of alcohol the previous night! There is a bathroom below deck on the boat. On Isla Waters is extremely professional and care about the whale sharks. I would not due this tour until the 2nd week of June. Keep in mind that you will be on the water for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. each way.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12,000 posts
192 reviews
224 helpful votes
3. Re: Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat
Save

I've been out on a smaller boat once and with On Isla Mujeres twice, and found Jorge's boat to be much more comfortable and less subject to the rolling seas. They even offer seasickness medication, although it's more effective if you take it and hour or so before departing, so if you have your own I would take it when you wake up that morning. And take a lesson from dcikon2's friend--a late night the night before is not advisable. In fact, before our first trip with Jorge I ran into him at Bahia Tortuga the night before and when he saw the drink in my hand he instructed me that it would be my last of the evening. It was. Good advice.

More tips: Don't sit in the bow or stern of the boat--try to be closer to midship. Picture a seesaw (or do you teeter-totter?) and the way the ends rise and fall much more than the middle. Try to sit where you are getting fresh air but not boat fumes. Look out over the horizon and not down at the water. Personally, I find a little something in my stomach helps, while my wife prefers not to eat before a boat trip. At any rate, don't have a huge breakfast unless you're anxious to share it with the fishes.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
121 posts
79 reviews
62 helpful votes
4. Re: Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat
Save

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
13 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat
Save

Dmartin has it spot on. But if your prone to it I would be hesitant. They will not turn around for you. My last trip 2 out of 8 got sick in a horrible way and were on the floor of the boat 80% of the trip. On isla is a great provider.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat
Save

There is a limit to the size of the boats, 36 feet, that are permitted to do whale shark tours and they have to have special propellers that do not harm the whale sharks. I think Jorge de la O's boat is as big as any you will find doing these tours.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
32 reviews
80 helpful votes
7. Re: Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat
Save

If he's that sensitive, it may be a very unpleasant trip for him I thought the ocean was very calm (for the ocean) going to Isla Contoy and we had sea sick people and that was in Captain Tony's friend's larger boat. There are waves caused by other craft as well as the what the ocean is doing so you can expect chop. Dmartin gives great advice if you decide to still go. I'll add one more....Be careful when you get off the boat and start walking because your balance will be off. It's a strange feeling if you've never experienced it.

8. Re: Whale Shark Tour with Large type boat

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: March 27, 2017, 1:17 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.