We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Isla help

Sainte Genevieve...
Level Contributor
520 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
Day Trip to Isla help
Save

My adult daughter and I are planning a day trip to Isla in early March. We are staying in the hotel zone. We plan to take an early Ferry from Puerto Juarez, then return on the ferry to Playa Caracol which is close to the resort we'll be staying at (Dreams Sands) and can walk to the resort from the ferry. What is the best way to get from the resort to the Puerto Juarez ferry? Taxi from the hotel. We want to get to the island early. It looks like the earliest most golf cart rentals open is 9:00am, is this correct? Can anyone suggest a rental place? Should we rent in advance or once we arrive?

We plan to take the golf cart to the south end of the island, explore Punt Sur, and anything else interesting we come upon. Afterwards we plan to spend some time on Playa Norte beach. Is there a beach club anyone recommends or where is a good beach spot? We're looking for clear beautiful water to swim in, and maybe order food. Do we need the golf cart all day, or 1/2 day, and return it before our beach time? I understand we can walk from Playa Norte back to the ferry, correct?

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

16 replies to this topic
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
148 reviews
272 helpful votes
1. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

I may be wrong, but most rental companies won’t rent a 1/2 day. But your only taking about $50 usd for a day. Taxi is your best bet to Puerto Juarez. Getting there that early, you’ll be way ahead of the other day trippers. So take your time driving around the south end. I would drop the cart at the rental agency before heading to Playa Norte. One less thing to deal with. Beach clubs are everywhere so just pick one that fits your vibe. If you are visiting mid-week, there will likely be less boats anchored. Definitely walk to the pier that goes to Mia Reef…. That part of the beach is insanely beautiful.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

You can rent for 1/2 day. It's a great moneymaker for the golf cart company if they can rent it twice in 1 day. I watched someone rent a cart recently from 2 pm to 5 pm.

You can only reserve in advance for a multi day rental so you will have to wait until you arrive.

Try to get the 8:30 am ferry so you can be there when the cart shops open. Weekdays are best, as they are slightly less crowded.

Sainte Genevieve...
Level Contributor
520 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

Thank you both, this is very helpful! Any particular place we should rent the golf cart from?

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

On Medina, the main road once you get off of the ferry, there are several rental companies. Our "go to" place is Prisma, which is about 3 blocks north of the ferry dock.

Similar to the airport, you will be approached by multiple people on both sides of the ferry, offering cart rentals. No need to deal with a middleman. Just go straight to one of the rental companies on Medina. You will need to bring your driver's license, which they will hold as "collateral ".

There is a perimeter road that circles the island, so you will have no problem getting around. Just stay to the right so that taxis and other cars can pass you.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
5. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

A friend and her mother did this recently. They explored Punta Sur and drove the island, and it only took a half day. They spent the afternoon on the beach.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
13,002 posts
132 reviews
226 helpful votes
6. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

I'm with flip_wilson; a golf cart is just throwing money away (especially since you want to enjoy some beach time at Playa Norte). A taxi to Punta Sur is 5 bucks, or about 100 pesos (agree on the price BEFORE getting into the taxi). Or the Isla bus is just 1 dollar (20 Mxn pesos) each, and stops just outside of the parking lot for Punta Sur (but still be prepared to shout Baja {as in Baja California}) or push the button near the top of the poles at the rear steps. 😮😶

Once you have finished with Punta Sur, just another $20 Mxn pesos to get back to el Centro (downtown) Isla. Also no need to worry about parking or all of the oneway streets. Downtown is just 4 blocks x 7 blocks, so a golf cart certainly isn't needed (except maybe from June - September). Use the money saved on the golfcart towards your food & drink minimum (purchase) at any of the beach clubs (on Playa Norte)!! 🙄😮🙂😃😃

The Hotel Zone Ultramar Ferry is the most expensive and least frequent of the ferry services over to Isla. Take a Hotel Zone bus (less than a buck each) to downtown el Centro Cancun, near the ADO bus station. Then catch a taxi on the street to the Jetway Puerto Juarez ferry terminal (about 50 - 60 Mxn pesos). The roundtrip Jetway Ferry service to Isla is about 1/3 less than Ultramar and runs almost as frequently, using the exact same ferry terminal on Isla.

Return is everything in the exact opposite sequence: Jetway ferry to Puerto Juarez, street taxi to ADO bus station, Hotel Zone bus back to your hotel/resort. Easy peasy! 😮🙄😃👍👍👍👍

Hope this helps, safe travels!

¡Diviértanse!

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
12 reviews
22 helpful votes
7. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

Renting a golf cart is a matter of personal choice.

We don't and use taxis or the bus to get around but many enjoy doing so because it's fun. You're in vacation. Not everything you do needs to be logical or even the most economical.

Even though we don't rent one friends who join us two weeks in April/May like it and always rent one for one day. It is fun and something different and something you won't do at home. We definitely enjoy that one day and would probably rent for a day when we visit alone if we had driver's licenses, lol.

If you think it's something you'd like to do then rent one for half a day. You can spend half the day checking out the island and the other half at the beach after you turn it in.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

LG: Re-read Flip's post at #1. His taxi comment was only to recommend the taxi to get from their hotel to Puerto Juarez, and then renting a golf cart on the Isla side, regardless of whether they had to pay the full $50 for a half or full day.

Southern California
Level Contributor
19,289 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

You can and I do take taxis in a number of places, but not that many places you can drive a golf cart for a few hours, wind and all.I just consider it an experience and factor the cost of the rental into my vacation.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Day Trip to Isla help
Save

Joan S - I have been meaning to say I appreciate all the help you give on this forum. Your answers are unbiased and not judgemental and filled with great, straight forward information. Thank you!

Reply to: Day Trip to Isla help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.