We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations

3 posts
1 review
First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

Hello all!

This is our first time visiting Isla Mujeres (and Mexico in general) and we are very excited.

We land in on Tuesday this week and with the new restrictions I think a few of our plans have changed.

Here is a general breakdown of our stay:

Tuesday: get to AirBNB and visit surrounding area. We are staying in the middle of the island. Arriving to AirBnB around 5-6PM so won’t be able to go far

Wednesday: it’s supposed to rain this day, how likely is it that this will be all day? We are planning to use this day to explore the north part of the island and the centro. I am looking for a dinner recommendation for this day, it’s my wife’s birthday and I want to take her somewhere very nice for dinner, any recommendations?

Thursday: I want to get to punta sur early for the sunrise. This is going to be our beach day. Also want to do some snorkeling. Best place to book a snorkeling trip on the island?

Friday: we are going to visit Cancun on this day. Going to some museums and some activities there.

Saturday: we are flying back. Going to maybe get breakfast in IM and maybe visit centro again before heading to airport.

How does our plan sound so far? Open to any recommendations for food spots, things to do, and a good coffee shop.

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

Wife’s dinner I would do limon. Cancun day why go back to isla to spend your last night after a day tip to Cancun? Why not stay in Cancun for logistics?

Other than that enjoy

3 posts
1 review
2. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

Thanks I’ll look into limon! And we had our AirBNB scheduled for this days already. Main reason to go to Cancun was because we are getting some last minute tattoos. May look into rescheduling our Airbnb and booking a hotel for that night though hadn’t really thought about it

Lagos de Moreno...
Level Contributor
692 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

Best way to plan for Isla Mujeres is to not plan for anything. Especially wasting a day going to Cancun. For whatever reason. Except to catch your return flight.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
10,334 posts
20 reviews
64 helpful votes
4. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

When will you do your covid test? At the ferry before heading to Cancun or in Cancun somewhere? Or maybe after you get back if that is before 8? (Not sure of the hours.)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
45 reviews
30 helpful votes
5. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

There are tattoo parlors on Isla that get very good reviews. I can't imagine wasting a day in Cancun.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
12 reviews
22 helpful votes
6. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

If your main reason for coming to Cancun is to get tattoos you can do that on Isla. One in particular gets rave reviews but I can't remember the name.

Isla Ink? Maybe something like that.

3 posts
1 review
7. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

I think right now it’s one day before flight so might just get them on the ferry on our way out to Cancun. I actually had COVID about 2 weeks ago but I’m vaccinated and have been testing negative since. Hopefully wife doesn’t catch it while we are out there

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
12 reviews
22 helpful votes
8. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

"I think right now it’s one day before flight so might just get them on the ferry on our way out to Cancun."

You mean AT the ferry terminal, right?

No testing on the ferry itself.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
847 posts
140 reviews
205 helpful votes
9. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

Tobias, if you visited a Dr. During your positive status or have proof of a lab administered test in which you tested positive, you simply need a letter of recovery from a Dr. And you’ll not need to test at all!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
10. Re: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Save

I'm with Rico. We stayed mid island in December and just loved it. So many great non-touristy local restaurants in walking distance. Just use Yelp and it will show the ones that are closest to you. Oscar's is a bit touristy, but fabulous Italian food and fish. La Hach is a fun local sports bar where no English is spoken or on the menu. That's local! Have fun and good luck with your ink.

Reply to: First time visiting IM, looking for a few recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.