We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical weather in March?

Stockton, California
2 posts
Typical weather in March?
Save

Hello!

We (couple in our 50s) are thinking of going to Isla the week of March 19. I have reserved a room at Playa Arena but don’t have our flights yet. We stayed at Playa Arena last June and loved it. Although we did get quite a lot of rain. How is the weather in March? Can it be super windy and cool?We love it to be warm and also love to swim in the ocean. We maybe able to switch it to early May, but I don’t want to wait that long!! TIA

3 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal, Mahahual
Level Contributor
23,437 posts
1. Re: Typical weather in March?
Save

In general, March is sunny & hot with very little rain.

Here's my summary for March...

Average daytime high: 30° C

Average overnight low: 22° C.

Rainfall is very low, but we can still get a few days of rain. When it does rain, it's usually overnight/early morning or a brief shower in the afternoon, and the rest of the day is sunny.

At that time of year, we still get cold fronts coming through and when that happens, those temps will drop a few degrees, and sometimes we get some wind & rain. Fronts come about every 10 to 14 days, and usually last 2 or 3 days. Nights can be cool during a cold front, so bring a light sweater. Whether or not it's "super windy" depends on the strength of the front -- some are weak, others are stronger -- it's the weather.

It's still warm enough to swim in the sea. I always find the water fine, but the air might be cooler.

May is definitely hotter -- hotter days & hotter nights. Rainfall is low at the beginning of May, but can increase towards the end of the month.

Edited: December 01, 2021, 3:10 am
Oregon
Level Contributor
962 posts
55 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: Typical weather in March?
Save

We have been to Isla several times during March, and once during late April/early May.

Weather wise, we enjoyed both but did prefer late April/early May since it was a bit warmer and not as windy. We had one trip that it was fairly windy for a couple of days, but we were still able to swim and sun. A storm blew through at night once in March, but again didn't really affect our ability to enjoy.

Glastonbury...
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Typical weather in March?
Save

I've given up trying to pick trips based on weather EXCEPT making sure we have a heated pool in "winter" months just in case.

When you LIVE there you get the averages. But for most of us on a week to ten day trip, its just luck of the draw. One front or storm can change most of the trip.

We've had the hottest couple days ever (feeling) in Jan. And been cool in Sept. Swan comfortably in the ocean in January and couldn't put a foot in the pool in May.

Reply to: Typical weather in March?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.