We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

The peso value has decreased somewhat vs the dollar recently. We purchased via Remitly on Friday at $21.83 peso per dollar.

Now, to the fun part..............spending these pesos. Here are some of restaurants/bars that we plan to enjoy.

Bars: Soggy Peso, Isla Brewing, Villa La Bella, Tiny Gecko, La Palapa Del Capitan, Mayan Beach Club, Green Demon, Snappers (Purdue basketball). We may eat at a few of these places also.

Restaurants: Madera Food and Art, Sunset Grill, Taqueria El Cachirul, Limon, Villa Rolandi, Abuelos, Olivia, Al Naural, Los Tacos De Humo, Mango Cafe, Tonicho's Taqueria.

Does anyone know if Chef David is still working at Pizza & A More? He wes previously at Aluxes. He must have a new phone number, as I can't track him down. I also have a different phone number, so he can't call me. He's a race fan, and I have an Indy 500 hat for him. Super nice guy, and he can really cook.

I'm an early riser, and plan to arrive Punta Sur about 6:45am one morning to watch the sunrise. I'm traveling with my brother/sister-in-law, and they are late risers. They prefer sunsets.

We're staying at Caribbean Casa (on the Malecon 0.7 miles from Playa Norte). My brother and sis-in-law have the larger upstairs Isladise (I stayed their last December), and I'm staying in the downstairs Sonrisa.

While we are traveling together, I'll be cruising around solo many times so we thought it best to get two carts. I can't sit still very long, and I love having my own cart.

I'm meeting up with Joan and E, and on another day Philly Bob! That'll be fun.

5 days and counting!

Edited: November 29, 2021, 11:11 pm
8 replies to this topic
Southwest Michigan...
Level Contributor
648 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

Add Mahache to your list of places to dine. Asia Caribe also.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

Thanks Isls4me. I meant to put Asia Caribe on my list buy forgot, so I appreciate the reminder. I'm not familiar with Mahache. I just looked at pics of their food, and it sure looks good.

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
22 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

Sounds like you have a good plan for a great time lined up. Caribbean Casa intruges me....I'd love to hear more about it.

I've not been (yet) but I agree on putting Mahache on your list to check out.. even for a small bite or just a quick drink.

Can't wait to read a TR from ya. Enjoy!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

Scrapper, I stayed for the first time last year at Caribbean Casa. The location is good, but not great, puttng it 0.7 miles from Playa Norte. Located on the Malecon, so no swimmable beach, yet the views are stunning. The Isladise unit has the family room/kitchen/full bathroom/large and small balcony on the first floor, while the second floor is the bedroom/tiny pungepool on one of the two upstairs balconies . 4 balconies plus the rooftop with a large "U" shapped couch. Same pricing year around, making the winter pricing an expecially good bargain at $125 plus tax. An amazing bargain, I would say.

Since there are only two units, it's hard to get a reservation in the winter months. Frankly, you need to book 12 months out.

You can see pics of the place on the website.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
11,919 posts
11 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

Sounds like you've got a good plan......especially the part about meeting up with us. 😉

Enjoy your trip and I'll see you soon!!!!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
6. Re: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

Add Fredy's, Javi's and Piscus to your list.

Have a great time!

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
7. Re: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

Chef David has returned to Aluxes Bar and Grill as the manager.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Save

Shibner, thanks for the news about Chef David!

Reply to: Heading to Isla on Saturday............Remitly/restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.