We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing Tour v Ferry

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
50 reviews
15 helpful votes
Sailing Tour v Ferry
Save

Hello, fellow travelers!

Though we’ve driven the peninsula in the past, this will be our first visit to Puerto Morelos. We are a family of 4- kiddos 12 & 16.

I am considering a day trip to Isla Mujeres. There are sailing trips that include about 2-2.5 hours on the island. Is this sufficient? Would it be better to skip the sailing/snorkeling and simply take a ferry to Isla Mujeres?

Also, any highlights/must do’s in the area would be appreciated!

We will have already been to Merida, Chichén Itzá, Valladolid, and Xel-Ha on this trip.

Natural and cultural activities are our favorite. We will have a rental car and the ability to communicate in Spanish.

Thank you for your insights!!

5 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
11,998 posts
11 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Sailing Tour v Ferry
Save

Personally I say skip the tours and take the ferry over and see Isla as you want.

Most tours take you to their beach club. If you want to venture out you can but you need to pay for food and drink outside the beach club which you've effectively paid for when you paid for the tour.

And the beach clubs are in Sac Bajo. They can't compare to Playa Norte.

A few hours isn't enough in my opinion. Doing it on your own you can rent a golf cart and tour the island, visit Punta Sur, stop someplace nice for lunch, hit Playa Norte, shop on Hildalgo, see the sunset, listen to some live music and have a nice dinner. Then head back on the ferry.

Or you can none of that and just go where the wind blows you....beach club on Plays Norte for the day, drift snorkeling etc.

Doing it on your gives you the freedom to do as you want when you want. Nothing better in my opinion.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
52,079 posts
45 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Sailing Tour v Ferry
Save

If you can, stay a night or at least go early and stay late! Do not take your rental car to Isla - just hop the regular ferry.

I would do a Cultura cruisers food tour.

For nature, someday I would recommend a trip to Isla Contoy, but it is pretty much an all day event but sounds like something you would enjoy.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
50 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Sailing Tour v Ferry
Save

Thank you!

As much as sailing sounds like fun, I feel like we would miss the true spirit of the island by limiting ourselves to a couple hours.

Appreciate your help!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
50 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Sailing Tour v Ferry
Save

Thank you!

Checking out the food tour now. Love that it is local and includes some cultural aspects.

Great stuff! Appreciate it!

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
11,998 posts
11 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: Sailing Tour v Ferry
Save

You will love the food tour. Eating something delicious in someone's home is about as good as it gets.

Reply to: Sailing Tour v Ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.