We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport renewal pdq

Level Contributor
578 posts
44 reviews
16 helpful votes
passport renewal pdq
Save

I sent our passports and paperwork in for renewal on a Monday, October 18 from Poland Ohio and received the new passports today, November 13, from Philadelphia Pa, four week turnaround must be a record and I didn't pay extra

we never go in the winter but we're all set for March or April, at least as far as passports go, we're watching the statistics and colors of Mexico so we may not go again till fall

Edited: November 14, 2021, 4:32 am
16 replies to this topic
Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
15,062 posts
68 reviews
92 helpful votes
1. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

That's amazing. I know someone who was told a renewal is about 12 weeks. In order to expedite for a pending trip the State Dept gave him an in person appointment in Texas (He was in New York). Suggest you check the dates on your passport and leave plenty of time to renew.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
128 reviews
225 helpful votes
2. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

Congrats mileeOhio. I sent mine in overnight on 26Sep21, they received the renewal app the next day and my check cleared on the 28th......and I am still waiting. 😶 Mine was sent to the renewal processing center in Irving TX.....and no update on the status online either. I guess I didn't really need to go to Mexico in early December afterall. 😥

Again congrats on getting yours back so quickly. 👍

¡Diviértanse!

Glastonbury...
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

So I read the topic and got excited because I sent mine in October 18. 😁

Then I read Gumbys reply and now I'm worried too ! 😣😥

My checked cleared Oct 23rd (paid for all the expediting stuff) but status stills shows not available. Milee....did your status update or did it just show up?

Gumby...did you cancel or are you winging it? You can always call for An appointment when you are 3 days out...

Glastonbury...
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

BTW... Updated processing times:

Routine 8 to 11 weeks

Expedited 5 to 7 weeks

Level Contributor
578 posts
44 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

Tom, I didn't track anything: USPS or cleared checks. Curious, I looked this morning

Forms mailed 10/18, USPS estimated del'y was 10/21, the forms were actually rec'd in Philadelphia the next day, 10/19, 11pm

The checks cleared 10/22

Apparently the forms were mailed to Tuscon because that's where return tracking began: tracking number created 11/11, accepted at Tuscon PO 11/12 . I got the passports the next day: 11/13 1pm

Pretty good service from the USPS and the passport offices in Philadelphia and Tuscon, without paying extra. I'd heard of extended wait times, possibly 4 months. Maybe they've hired more employees.

Hang in there Gumby, you might be getting it soon!

Edited: November 14, 2021, 10:51 pm
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
128 reviews
225 helpful votes
6. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

Tom L,

I am probably going to cancel at this point in time. Like you I have checked online for updates, only to be disappointed in that the status has not changed.

As a last resort, when you are about 2 weeks out, contact your US House of Representatives office, as they are able to track down and get a wayward passport to you, their constituent, in less than a weeks time. Don't leave voicemail or email; actually speak with someone in either their local office or their Washington DC office location. You will have to sign a waiver for them to act on your behalf. Hope this helps you, safe travels.

mileeOhio, I won't hold my breath. 🙄

¡Diviértanse!

Edited: November 15, 2021, 5:37 am
Glastonbury...
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

Thanks Gumby.... And good luck.

We kind of went through this in April with my step daughters passport due to some back and forth. Believe it or not, it was returned because on the minor parental consent form, her father dated it something like January 15, 2021 and the notary did 1/15/21. 🙄. Anyways....with a week to go, we got a phone number direct to the local New England branch NOT the main phone number which are just a bunch of folks taking messages and passing on info. These people were very helpful and we got it 3 days before travel!

Yes, I saved that number! 😎

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
22 reviews
18 helpful votes
8. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

We sent a renewal Aug 19... 2day shipping... check cleared right away. New Passport JUST recieved last week exactly 12 weeks later. I have heard turn around lately has been closer to 4 weeks.

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
22 reviews
18 helpful votes
9. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

Cecking the status on line ours went from not available to in process...iit was 'in process' for WEEKS... to (i forget the exact wording) but something that let me know it was DONE and on the way to us. We recieved it in our box a few days later.. passport card arrived seperatly this past weekend.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: passport renewal pdq
Save

My passport expires March 2023, To be safe, I'm going to renew one year ahead of time, or about 8 months before my expected December 2022 trip to Isla Mujeres.

Reply to: passport renewal pdq
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.