We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
20 reviews
64 helpful votes
Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

Well I did (mostly) and was out last night at 9 pm to find one turtle on the beach but then I went to sleep and didn't wake up til 4:45. I think Tom knows how amazing that is. I think he is a similar sporadic sleeper. The turtles, however, did not need me to make a mockery of this beach. Not a flat surface to be found. I got my newfound friend, the rake, out and tried to level off some of the hills only to get a blister immediately. That adds a new dimension to my sea glass hunts when salt water meets rake blister. :) Enjoyed some pre-breakfast in the form of mango yogurt with dragon fruit and coffee. Delicious. Had "real" breakfast at Coco Jaguar when they opened at 8. We are going to start cutting back on meals. Coco Jaguar was fine but there were enough glitches to make me not be in a hurry to come back. I ate everything, though. Maybe on another trip.

Headed over to pick up D1's special friend Kiera for her play date. We had her from 9 to noon to see how she is in a new environment. Very good dog. Small, reddish spaniel mix of some sort. Just sweet. I think someone is smitten. While they were bonding I ran down to the Pemex to get some gas. Sometimes it is just easier than running downtown. We had Kiera outside a little later when our neighbor invited her in to play with Sparky for a bit. They got along well so she is really looking like a good natured dog.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
20 reviews
64 helpful votes
1. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

After dropping Kiera off we went to Madera for lunch. Smashed avocado with toast and then rice bowls each. So good. We really haven't had a bad meal yet and most of them have been downright delicious. Stopped by the new (to us) Island Animals vet clinic which is where they do the spay clinics now. We asked about coming for spay day and she said sure, stop by around noon. It depends on how many dogs they have that day whether or not we will be needed. Ran down Sac Bajo to check out the little trail at the end of the road that meanders in to the inlet that all the boats are on. There is what I believe to be an old horse place in there. There were stalls that horses could be held in and then a few large open palapas and trails. I think there was a horse riding business in there at some point in time. Maybe? Anyone know? Shortly after that is when we noticed one of our tires was pretty low. This cart had pulled hard to the right when we got it but one of the guys who works there had driven up in that exact cart, so I didn't think anything of it. Just thought that's how this cart rolls. :) But no, the tire is looking bad. Headed back to town past Madera and who should we see? Islawoman getting out of a taxi. Had time to yell and wave as we are sure our tire is going to blow up any minute. Back at Coco's and they ask if we need gas. I indicate the tire and they are all business, changing that tire and sending us on our way. Felt good to be re--carted up. (Try that one fellows.)

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
20 reviews
64 helpful votes
2. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

Exchanged a little more cash. Relaxed in beach chairs for a bit. Found like three more pieces of sea glass. Not even kidding. Maybe tomorrow we hit the malecon side. You know, on our first day of real vacation. :) Had a hard time deciding on dinner as we didn't want to go downtown. The short amount of time we spent at Coco's made us realize why we don't stay downtown. Just too many people. Decided Da Luisa would have a nice breeze and D1 loves their gnocchi which wasn't available on our first night. Hmmmm.....not available on our second try either. Oh well, we are all about trying three new things each day so we went with the seafood sampler for two. A garlic fish filet, tuna filet, breaded shrimp and mussels and potatoes. Really tasty. I'm sure I've had mussels before in a paella or something but these were steamed in some really flavorful tomato broth. I loved them. D1, not so much. I mean D1 didn't love them so much. Not that i don't love D1 so much. Cause she's alright. :) Anyway.....we stopped at the little tienda and things are looking up. While they didn't have my favorite pecan megas, they did have the almond. I can live with that. One last run to Chedraui and a load of laundry and this day is about over. Did a beach check just now for turtles. Nada. I'm not worried. I'm pretty sure I will be seeing turtles tonight. Habla manana.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

There hasn't been any horse riding business in the 30 years I have been here. There is one man who keeps horses here but not as a business. I thought his stables were on the road to Garrafón but I could be wrong. There was once a man who decided to offer rides of a different sort and one day, when I went to the Red Cross, I saw a camel "parked" behind the building. I didn't believe it was really there, but the odor assured me it was. He never got permits for this business and the camel disappeared.

Glastonbury...
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

Haha...true. I would PAY to sleep 7 hours!

OK, you have me convinced to try one of these mega bars now. Seen them at the check out counter but never bit.

Love that avocado toast! https://photos.app.goo.gl/C6Tj4zGwtCdTvScv5 🥑

Islawoman, that guy you were talking about down by Garrafon IS doing rides now. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5DuXMcqnC3XmXUC39 Or at least he was in May. His place has been there forever but this was the first time we saw him "open for business". The horses were out by the road under some trees and frankly, looked really hot. But I don't know anything about horses, maybe this is normal.

Edited: 2 years ago
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

Enjoying your posts as usual! Thank you so much!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
590 posts
2 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

Your right Tom, the past few years when we have gone by, he did have a couple horses out with saddle on. I know it was not every day that they would be out so I assumed one would get hold of him some how to ride.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
20 reviews
64 helpful votes
7. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

There was a sign out by the spot Islawoman mentions that said “Take your picture with the horse.” Noticed it on one of our rides around yesterday.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12,000 posts
192 reviews
224 helpful votes
8. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles
Save

A couple of years back, we were touring the island on a golf cart and passed a man on horseback, leading two other people on horses. We may have jumped to conclusions, but the two people following him certainly looked like tourists to us.

9. Re: Day 4.....I thought you came for the turtles

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: August 02, 2020, 12:42 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.