We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)

Houston
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)
Save

Wed morning we took the golf cart to North Beach and had planned on settling into a lounger at the Mayan Beach club but inadvertently ended up next door at Privileges Aluxes. Really couldn’t tell the difference anyway. It was about 10:30 and the beach was just starting to fill up. By Noon you couldn’t find a lounger to save your life. Regardless the ocean was beautiful and oh so relaxing. It is not crystal clear though. I figure the reason being is that there is so much wake action from all the boats passing by that the water just can’t stay still and the sand muddles the color. We drove down the entirety of north beach and it was like this everywhere. If you want crystal clear water head to the southern part of the island (more on that later.).

We didn’t hear any music from boats so that was a plus. The drinks were ok, I had to tip extra and asked for more rum as our first mojitos were very weak. Food service was another story. Their gas was out (this seemed to be a common theme on the island) so we had to wait over an hour for it to come back on to get an order of calimari that was not edible but the nachos were fine.

Wed night was dinner at Limon which was so good we came back the following (last) night. The service is as hospitable as you will ever have anywhere and the food is exceptional. Sergio felt bad that lobster wasn’t available for my son (who had been asking for it all week) so he promised to have two freshly caught ones the following night. The first night the wife had the stuffed grouper and she raved about it, which coming from her is the ultimate compliment. I Had the coconut shrimp which were amazing. We all shared the delictable banana foster for dessert.

Thursday morning we headed to Garrafon and did zip lining and snorkeling. The water down on the southern part of the island really is head and shoulders above that of the northern part. Yes, there is sea grass in areas but the lack of boating keeps the waters so much clearer, at least that’s my theory. Snorkeling was ok for us since it was the kids first time.

When we got back to Casa Zama at 2pm the power on the island had just gone out. It wouldn’t come back on until 2:30 am. It was just starting to get uncomfortable around the time we left for our 6:30 reservation back at Limon. Since Sergio cooks with gas, we were able to have another wonderful dinner. The wife loved her ribeye though it was cooked a bit more done than either of us prefer it had a wonderful flavor and was very tender. On par with any good sterakhouse back home in Houston. I had The aforementioned grilled lobster and my oldest had his losbster done Sergio style which is grilled and mixed with four Uber rich cheeses. It was phenomenal.

We got back to Casa Sauna around 8pm and had a bag of candles at our doorstep. Special shut out to Mel and Ron who were terrific hosts. The candles were a godsend. There was a nice breeze coming from the ocean and we stayed on our rooftop loungers until the boys fell asleep around 9:30. I have to admit it was pretty miserable until the power came back on at 2:30.

Heading out to catch the ferry so will report back on some additional observations later.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)
Save

Thanks for the great report! Taking note of your water clarity tips and now thinking Limon may be the best place to have my birthday dinner when I’m there next month. Candles at your doorstep sure is an amazing gesture from your hosts.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12,000 posts
192 reviews
224 helpful votes
2. Re: Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)
Save

Yes, thanks for sharing--your report is really whetting our appetite for our upcoming return!

We love Limon and Sergio is such a great host. Kristin--Limon is indeed a great choice for birthday or other "special" occasion. Be sure to make reservations and let them know in advance if you want lobster, because it's generally caught that morning. Also, note that they do not take credit cards.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)
Save

Thanks for the tips DMartin!

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
20 reviews
64 helpful votes
4. Re: Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)
Save

:) @ "Casa Sauna".

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
276 reviews
155 helpful votes
5. Re: Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)
Save

PA is on Playa Sol and Mayan Beach Club is on Playa Norte. If you were next door then you might have been at Chi Chi & Charles or Turque 33. Yes, the water isn't as clear in the afternoon when people are walking around in it. Go in the morning and it is crystal clear.

Southwest Michigan...
Level Contributor
595 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)
Save

My thought too dcikon2, PA is not "next door" to Mayan Beach Club.

7. Re: Days 3-5 review (7/27/18)

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: July 30, 2019, 1:43 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.