We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

Hi all, we will be taking the ferry from Cancun for a one day visit, sometime in April depending on weather. I would like to ask for some suggestions to do some shopping, sight seeing, lunch, and drinks at sunset. I have been once before and I know there is a lot to see and do in Playa Norte. Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
28,711 posts
9 reviews
52 helpful votes
1. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

Order a Mapchick map - http://www.mapchick.com/isla-mujeres-map/

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
128 reviews
225 helpful votes
2. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

I agree with HolaGata; mapchick's travel guides (maps) are worth their weight in gold! You will hit the ground running like an insider and like you have visited the area every year for the last 30 years!

Most of the shopping is along Avenida Hidalgo, which runs North - South. There are many restaurants here along this stretch too, along with water holes in case you get thirsty for an adult beverage or two.

Playa Norte is to your LEFT as you exit off of the ferry, five (5) blocks away and an easy 7 minute walk. You are on Playa Norte when you run into the sand and cannot go any further!

Taxis on Isla are dirt cheap (~ $5 USD from Playa Norte to Punta Sur {$100 Mxn pesos}) and are per cab, NOT per person. If you elect to go to the Tortuga Sanctuary it will run about $2.50 from Punta Sur or $50 Mxn pesos. Some will recommend that you spend a small fortune to rent a golf cart for the day at about $40 - 50 USD. Just understand that golf carts for day trippers are from 9am - 5pm..... so that will be a long time BEFORE sunset (which you said you wanted to enjoy). Also NO ONE on the golf cart can have an open adult beverage -or- the driver is subject to being ticketed and fined under the Mayor's new (right or wrong) Zero Tolerance policy for drunk driving and golf carts.

So personally since taxis are so darned cheap, I'd forgo the golf cart and use that money you save towards more adult beverages, more souvenirs from Isla, or did I say more adult beverages?? Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

3. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: March 26, 2018, 3:40 pm
New Cumberland...
Level Contributor
655 posts
4. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

Could you please define your post a little more clearly; is transport via golf cart carries more weight than being sober for that trip?

Sorry, I just couldn't get to the bottom of your post.

Edited: 3 years ago
New Cumberland...
Level Contributor
655 posts
5. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

If your post involves being a little more mature about drinking and driving, I'm with you!

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
576 posts
6. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

Be sure to rent a golf cart and tour the island at your leisure,

7. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: March 26, 2018, 3:40 pm
Arizona
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
280 reviews
83 helpful votes
8. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

Playa Norte is actually Northeast of the ferry. If you walk North along Medina the first beach you see is Playa Sol. Keep walking and then turn right or head East. At the corner of Nabalam just before Mia Reef, you will see the part of North beach rated one of the most beautiful beaches in the world by TripAdvisor. The white sand and Caribbean blues of the water are just beautiful. If you plan to wander around downtown, you would not need a map. If you are going to spend the day and explore the entire Island, Mapchick is a fun travel tool. Enjoy your time on the Island.

Metamora, Michigan
Level Contributor
427 posts
9. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

They were asking about a self guided walking tour.... nothing about golf carts, but yet the anti cart preaching comes out anyways. Give it a rest please!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
613 posts
2 reviews
68 helpful votes
10. Re: Playa Norte self guided walking tour (with your help)
Save

atta boy, mike r!!!!!! woooooooo

Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.