We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory

East Texas...
2 posts
Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

U.S. Government just issued a travel advisory for Cancun and areas around. Worried about the homicide and car-jacking/kidnapping to the island.....Thoughts????

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
13 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

That bad stuff that you are thinking in your head right now, actually does not happen on isla. Its only 1/2 mile wide and 8 miles long. Where are you going to go? Plus yesterday, when the Travel Warnings were not issued, it was business as usual, no kidnappings, no homicides, etc......I dont think an advisory makes yesterday and today any different.

2. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: August 27, 2017, 11:05 pm
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
295 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

Horribly unsafe. You should just transfer your flights & hotel stay to me directly.

Arizona
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
280 reviews
83 helpful votes
4. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

I live on Isla and there has not been one car jacking or kidnapping that has been reported. In a town with 13,000 residents there will be crime and deaths, mostly natural causes or car/moto accidents. I would not be overly alarmed. There is always something to scare people away from Mexico whether it be Swine Flu, Violence or Zika. My cell phone gets a NYC news feed and yikes what is on the news there is scary. I spend a lot of time in Cancun and I am not worried either. I have lived in the states of NY, FL, MA, AZ and Quintana Roo, regardless of where I am. I lock my doors, do not invite strangers back with me, do not leave expensive things in cars or carts when unattended, do not buy drugs and respect the laws. So far so good. Enjoy your vacation.

Edited: 4 years ago
Baltimore
Level Contributor
720 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

There is a tiny (really tiny I swear) part of me that gets a tad happy when warnings like this come out because it usually means cheaper travel to Mexico for us.

But then my ethics kick in and I get upset for those who rely on tourism for their livelihoods. These feelings FAR outweigh the others!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
41 reviews
64 helpful votes
6. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

I have lived in Chicago for 40 years and if i can deal with that i can deal with anyplace! LOL! I would not let that scare you off!

winnipeg
Level Contributor
312 posts
33 reviews
27 helpful votes
7. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

My city just got voted the most unsafe city in Canada , what an honour !

But like most major cities north and south of the border its geographic and people need to put things in perspective. I'm not planning to evacuate anytime soon... Yet people are so quick to judge when they hear reports of crime in Mexico . When you delve a little deeper you realize how isolated the crime is.

It all about time and place. Wrong time wrong place. Conduct yourself accordingly you'll be fine.

They say how friendly Canadians are, well the Mexicans are even more so. I'm often overwhelmed by their genuine, up beat friendly nature. They make you feel like family. We've travelled to Mexico many times and this nature is not the least bit uncommon.

People please look at the big picture before judging based on hearsay and inflated news reports...or stay home, many of us will go in your place. Again and again!

bear creek pa
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

We just got back Saturday from one week on Isla.

Never felt unsafe or saw anything to indicate a threat.

My wife went running at the crack of dawn everyday and our four year old daughter loved the Island.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
109 posts
43 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

I think it's a valid question if you've never visited Isla before. I would've never seen it coming, the shooting at the BPM/edm festival back early this year, and the 100+ shootings in Cancun either. I would wonder if there were any sort of "spill over" incidents from Cancun. Isla isn't that far from there.

For myself, I've been only a couple of times to Isla, and it's super chill/laid back and the people are amazing. Having said that, we've a trip booked for after the new year including Tulum, Cozumel, and Cancun. Yeah, it has me concerned, but we'll likely go and just be careful as hell.

http://noticaribe.com.mx/2017/08/25/suman-110-ejecuciones-en-cancun-se-acentua-la-estadistica-de-la-violencia-con-un-crimen-cada-dos-dias-y-medio-en-el-principal-destino-turistico-de-mexico/

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,481 posts
66 reviews
142 helpful votes
10. Re: Isla Mujeres- Quintana Roo Travel Advisory
Save

"My city just got voted the most unsafe city in Canada , what an honour !"

Rest easy- that poll actually said that Canadians FEEL like Winnipeg is the most dangerous city- was only an opinion poll, not fact-based.

The stats are here (top three cities for violent crime last year were all in Alberta, for example.)

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/canada-most-dangerous-cities-2016-safe-your-city/

However- that is even inaccurate, as we live in one of the safest countries in the world.

There were about 600 murders out of 30 million people in 2016 in Canada.

Mexico, with a population of 128 million, had 23,000 murders in 2016. 23,000! Half that of Syria.

Now, I'm not great at math but I see that as they are four times roughly as populous as Canada, and if we were 128 million we'd have about 2,400 murders.....but they had 23,000. It's pretty insane, really.

it's good to be defensive of a place we all love, but facts are good.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.