We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waterproof phone pouches

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
465 posts
53 reviews
39 helpful votes
waterproof phone pouches

Hi!

Has anyone used any of those waterproof pouches for their iphone? I'm wondering if they really are safe enough for snorkeling and swimming. If so any brand recommendations?

I figured I'd ask real travelers to balance out any of the fake amazon reviews.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
44 reviews
98 helpful votes
1. Re: waterproof phone pouches

Curious about this as well. Don't think I would trust them.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
170 helpful votes
2. Re: waterproof phone pouches

I wouldn't trust them either. I think the word "water resistant" may be more believable. Accidentally getting it wet or splashed is one thing, deliberately taking it underwater is asking for trouble IMO. Too expensive to risk.

As of now, I don't believe Apple has a waterproof case so that should tell you something.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
479 posts
25 reviews
60 helpful votes
3. Re: waterproof phone pouches

My son bought one on our recent trip to akumal and I was sceptical to say the least but it does actually work! We tested it first with money in it and submerged it in the bath came out dry as a bone, tried the phone next (my eyes were covered) but it was fine and you can still operate it

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
26,208 posts
9 reviews
68 helpful votes
4. Re: waterproof phone pouches

I have one which I originally bought to protect my Kindle if I want to read near the pool (just in case there are splashy people around). I've also used it to hold room key and cash while out on an excursion that involved snorkeling.

Whilst my experience with it has been excellent (everything inside remained bone dry), I wouldn't trust it to protect anything valuable.

I'm not sure why you'd need to take your iPhone snorkeling or swimming; you won't be able to use it when it's in the bag as the touch screen won't work. Rather than risk damaging/losing my phone at the beach or pool, I use an inexpensive MP3 player (my iPhone-loving daughter uses a little iPod Shuffle) for music and a compact camera for pictures. (And when my current camera dies, it'll be replaced with a waterproof version.)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
465 posts
53 reviews
39 helpful votes
5. Re: waterproof phone pouches

Yeah, it does sound too good to be true however I've seen people in the past at the beach with them so thought I'd ask. Btw I'm referring to those special sealed plastic pouches, not an actual "waterproof case". To me the case seems totally unreliable.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
465 posts
53 reviews
39 helpful votes
6. Re: waterproof phone pouches

@HolaGata, i have a nice digital camera but it is not waterproof. Can't bring myself to buy a separate waterproof one at this time considering I'd only use it a couple times a year. Maybe soon. Supposedly with these special pouches you can still touch the screen to take photos or at least use the volume buttons while in camera mode (iPhone) to take photos underwater. I'd want to take it snorkeling to take some photos of the experience. It would beat a disposable camera but I guess those are always a fun surprise ha

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
26,208 posts
9 reviews
68 helpful votes
7. Re: waterproof phone pouches

I'm wrong - my phone (Android) does work when in the pouch; I just tried it out.

Still, I be very leery of trusting it to protect something as spendy as an iPhone.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
51 reviews
72 helpful votes
8. Re: waterproof phone pouches

@geord I am curious what brand and where you bought yours??? That was a great idea testing it first!! My husband always carries his phone even on vacation. It's not really used much except posting pics on FB and we have it for peace of mind should something happen.

Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
192 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: waterproof phone pouches

My Galaxy Note 5 worked great in my waterproof pouch...touchscreen responded most of the time. When I took it snorkeling in the cenotes the touchscreen would not respond (water was too cold), however the camera on my phone was able to take photos pressing the volume toggle on the side of the phone. It was just a quick change in the camera settings. Also I can change the setting to take videos the same way, so I did it that way at Akumal so I could pay attention to my surroundings and not be looking at my phone the whole time. My husband has the same one I do for his iPhone 6plus. Our phones fit perfectly in these pouches after removing our bulky protective cases. They do make an even larger size.

https:/…

Just don't keep your room key in there WITH your phone...I deactivated my room key 3 times before we figured this out.

Edited: June 20, 2016, 7:08 am
Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
192 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: waterproof phone pouches

To clarify...the link I posted is for the smaller ones that we have. It will fit the iPhone 6plus without a case. They have a larger one as well.

Get answers to your questions about Cancun