We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Taco Tour

Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Best Taco Tour
Save

Hello Everyone headed to Cancun in a week and half and have not booked any excursions, but I do know that my husband would love delicious tacos...

What taco tour do you recommend?

15 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

Personally, if you're looking for really good tacos I'd skip a tour all together. There's so many small taquerias and taco stands you could check a few out on your own if you're up for a trip down to El Centro.

If that interests you I'd be more than happy to give you the names of a few places with excellent tacos in areas where it's safe to go.

Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

I would love to try some in El Centro we do not mind venturing out on our own to do it.. just tried that in Puerto Vallarta in March and never found tacos lol.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

In El Centro there are excellent tacos.

Believe it or not, there's two taco stands in the parking lot at the ADO bus station. The one closest to street (it's pretty much at the end of the parking lot) has excellent tacos.

On Avenida Nader (one block off Ave Tulum) there's a small bunch of taco places all in one place. The stalls look kind of run down but the food is excellent and it's a safe area. It's located more towards the end of Nader off Ave Coba (the street you're on once you leave the hotel zone). You can get there by taking the R-1 bus and getting off at the Palacio. Walk to the street behind the Palacio via one of the walkways and turn right. Maybe it's a 4 minute walk or so.

Both these are daytime places.

If you're looking for a nighttime place then I'd suggest giving the Region 94 Tianguis a try anytime after 5pm or so. Excellent tacos just about everywhere with many choices. To get there I'd suggest taking either the R-1 or R-2 out of the hotel zone. Get off near the Chedraui on the corner and take a taxi from there. Just tell the driver you want to go to Tianguis (pronounced T-ang-us) en noventa y cuatro (94).

There's also another big tianguis every Sunday morning in Region 100. More excellent food. Again the bus out of the hotel zone and a taxi will get you there.

If you're looking for things like panuchos and Salbutes (and you really should try at least one, lol) you can head to Palapas de Las Palapas off Avenida Tulum. Go to the first food stall you come to after walking down the pedestrian only street to the parque. Again, the R-1 will get you there. Just get off at the Palacio and cross the main street. Then head down the Pedestrian only street. You can't miss it.

If you're looking for tacos or tortas de cochinita or lechón then you need to check out La Morena on López Portillo. I'll be up fro t. This isn't the best area but they close around 1pm so it's definitely a morning thing. Both are widely popular for breakfast. They open at 3am, lol.

To get there I'd again suggest the bus out of the hotel zone then a taxi to La Morena. Tell the driver you need to go to La Morena taquería en López Portillo (the two all's sound line a y) entre (between) Torcasita y (pronounced like the letter E) Uxmal.

Really excellent cochinita. For my money the absolute best in Cancun.

If you need more suggestions let me know. I love tacos, lol.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

Just remembered two more places for dinner...

Tacos Rigo and Las Brasas de Brujo. Both have excellent tacos and also full meals.

At Las Brasas de Brujo their tacos de pastor are excellent. Tacos Rigo has many to choose from and they're all very good.

You can get to both via either bus to a stop near the Chedraui and then hop in a taxi to the restaurant. Disclosure: Las Brass is not in the best neighborhood but people come from all over Cancun for their food. It's that good.

Just get a taxi from in front of the restaurant when heading back and you'll be fine.

Las Brasas opens around 6pm and Taco's Rigo is open all day up to 11pm. They serve breakfast.

Both have a bar which is something the other places I me toned do not

There is a Tacos Rigo in the hotel zone but for my money the one downtown near Mercados 28 is by far the best.

Houston, Texas
9 posts
5. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

Hi,

When we go to Cozumel we always stop first at Diego's tacos. They are sooo good and a 5-10 minute walk from the airport. Are there any places like this around Cancun either in the hotel zone or downtown?

Thanks!!!

Blaine, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
10 reviews
120 helpful votes
6. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

Someone in a hotel review mentioned a Taco Tour in Playa del Carmen. We may be doing that one. It covers a taco at each place, and .... I forget, maybe softdrinks? It doesn't include alcohol, which you can then get on your own - which we will be doing, if we do this. The person who wrote about it had a great time.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

You aren't going to find true taco stands in the hotel zone. There are places with good tacos but not true taco stands or taquerias that haven't been gringonized. You need to head downtown for them.

I listed several in my previous post.

Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

You are amazing! We are writing these all down now! Thank you for the safer options!

Texas
Level Contributor
795 posts
10 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

Totally agree, amazing info. We won’t be there in Cancun still for a couple of months, but wanted to know about the taco stands. Thanks again, Joan, for all the great info!!

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: Best Taco Tour
Save

You're more than welcome...

If you need more suggestions just let me. I have lots more. In fact, we're heading to one today for lunch. I'm craving tacos de adobada, lol.

Reply to: Best Taco Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.