We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners

bakersfield
Level Contributor
53 posts
Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

Hello All! I know this question is asked a lot, but My future husband and I are coming in December and in search of an AI, adults only (not a deal breaker but preferred) for our honeymoon. We are late 30s, love a good pool, swim up bars, good food and premium drinks, as well as a nice beach, a little livelier resort especially at night in case we stay in but not spring break status, we are pushing 40. We would also like it to be in a good location if we do decide to leave the resort. I have a list of places that seem amazing, just a few quirks that I’ve gathered from reviews, for example HZ does not allow for poolside food? LA is a little too quiet in the evenings? LA and Atelier drinks are often watered down as of late? No in room drink service? Just looking for clarification, or help with narrowing down our selections. We plan on booking excursions a couple days and having a couple of on site relaxing days, so hoping to get the most out of the AI experience. Budget is pretty open. Here are my current contenders, but open to other suggestions:

Live Aqua

Hyatt Zilara

Atelier (i know this is in Playa Mujeres, but the pics look amazing and they seem to offer lots of nightly entertainment since it sits on its own)

Any others?

Also, specifying room type would be helpful because thats a whole other level of decision making that I’m having a hard time with. Please help!

Also, I considered Le Blanc and Hard Rock but felt these were either two quiet (LB) or too rowdy (HR).

12 replies to this topic
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
58 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

Excellence Playa Mujeres is a fantastic option, but it’s also in Playa Mujeres.

If you’re certain you want the Hotel Zone for proximity purposes, Secrets the Vine would be a good choice. Also RIU Palace Las Americas. Both are adults only and well located to other activities in the hotel zone.

You may also want to look at options in Playa del Carmen/Playacar if you’re interested in bars/restaurants off resort, shopping, and site seeing excursions.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
575 posts
5 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

Live Aqua is as quiet as Le Blanc. Hyatt Zilara is run down & in need of renovations. I suggest looking into Excellence Playa Mujeres, Secrets the Vine or Sun Palace.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
58 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

I always forget about Sun Palace...but that is another good option. The primary down side to SP is that it’s way at the far southern end of the hotel zone so taxi or bus rides are necessary to get to the “action areas” in the HZ

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,438 posts
29 reviews
650 helpful votes
4. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

It really depends how lively you want it. Adults Only tend to be a bit more laid back.

Woth present restrictions resorts are not able to have as many things going on but by December hopefully things have improved.

HZ really doesn’t have a lot going on either but has a nice beach. It was supposed to have a major renovation a few years ago which I had read was cancelled. It is an older style resort but still nice. Yes no food around pools was a bummer. It’s a good location as not far from bars and shopping.

Live Aqua has a lovely beach and beach bar. It has a separate swim up pool which we like so you can have a lively area and a calmer one. It has the most lunch options of any resort we have been to. It was renovated recently. It has lots of greenery which is not very common in the hotel zone. It is right across from a huge outdoor mall with high end to mid range to souvenirs. Excellent service, good and drinks. Love the cabanas that you can rent or get with a suite.

Secrets the Vine doesn’t have a swim up bar pool. Smaller beach area and okay service and food. Nice overall spot but we like others more.

Sun Palace would work as well though closer to the airport so not idea for going shopping and bars but not that far. It was recently renovated. The swim up bar is small but nice views. The pools here are small but the beach is lovely. They don’t have big shows either but things going on to have some fun.

Blaine, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
10 reviews
119 helpful votes
5. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

i've been to 20+ resorts - my favorite is Valentin Imperial Maya. We've been there twice and are planning to go back in February with our adult son. I've been to others that I like almost as much - but VIM is my favorite. It's between Cancun and PDC, so you need a taxi to get anywhere -- but you really won't want or need to leave thr resort much. There is a night or two during the week where they do bring in vendors for shopping - so that would take care of that. If you sign up for an excursion, they generally provide transportation. If you just want to go into PDC to look around - they used to have a shuttle, not sure they are doing that anymore. But it's not hard to get a taxi --- just walk up to the guys at the front door of the resort and they will call one for you.

bakersfield
Level Contributor
53 posts
6. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

After reading the responses, I’m not as married to the idea of the hotel zone as I was before. Are there any resorts in Playa Mujeres or any other surrounding areas of Cancun that offers a bit of nightlife on site? I’ve recently started looking at Excellence PM, Secrets PM, Atelier and Secrets Maroma. They don’t need to be party resorts, but we do like to enjoy a nightcap/hookah sesh after dinner into the later evening hrs, we just don’t want to be forced back into our room by 10, if that makes sense.

bakersfield
Level Contributor
53 posts
7. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

One thing I am curious about, I noticed in some reviews of certain resorts that alcoholic drinks are not offered with room service, is this true for all resorts? Or specific to certain ones?

Edited: May 18, 2021, 11:09 am
bakersfield
Level Contributor
53 posts
8. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

Does Valentin Imperial Maya offer any sort of nightlife on site? Bars, lounges, etc. I did look into that one, the resort looked beautiful.

Texas
Level Contributor
700 posts
10 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

One thing we noticed about Secrets PM, service, location and beach were excellent, but the food was not very good and we are generally not picky about AI food.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
138 reviews
88 helpful votes
10. Re: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Save

Room service in most countries is aimed at providing food if you don’t want to venture out to a restaurant so the drinks they usually provide are beers & wine. I don’t think many provide a bar service to rooms as they would need so many staff to do this.

Reply to: Overwhelmed first time Honeymooners
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.