We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

Ok so I have always owned and used my own snorkeling gear due to being super picky about germs from rental sets. We both have the traditional style snorkel set but to be honest, I never had much fun snorkeling because of always inhaling water, face pressure marks from the mask, fogging, etc. Probably would be better at it with practice but I don't get away very often on a snorkel type vacation - in fact last time I snorkeled was back in 2010. I have been considering not even taking the snorkel gear on our trip because not sure if I want to use it.

Apparently these easy breath masks solve all those problems. Do you think we should rent the masks for the week? ($50 each person) At a cost of $80 each on Ebay and having to pack them, purchasing our own is sort of out of the question. Plus we may not use it again for another 5 years. What about hygiene? I get a nasty feeling thinking of renting a used mask....but it is more practical.

Or should we just stick with what we have and use it? We only have 7 days in STJ and won't be able to go back for some time, I would rather not spend half the time fighting my snorkel gear lol

Ohio
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

I bought one and will be trying it out in a few weeks!

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

rm willis Let me know how it goes!!

Also if anyone has experience using it with long hair...how does it compare to getting tangled in the traditional masks? Any more convenient? The fiance wants to know....

Edited: March 15, 2016, 5:11 am
Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

I can't even describe how much I love mine! I always wear my long hair up when in the water but i have zero problem with pulling and tangles on my ponytail and flyways. I found them super comfortable, easy to use, and had zero problems. My husband reluctantly let buy him one when I bought mine and he couldn't stop raving about it either. We could actually talk to each other while snorkeling which was awesome too.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
188 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

I have never really snorkeled because I could not figure out breathing thru my mouth but rented the Tribord from Beach Bum two weeks ago. I am so glad I did, it was really easy! Hygiene wise from a rental shop it was not bad at all since it only touches your face, nothing to out your mouth on thank goodness. I have long hair and never had any issues, some days I did keep my hair in a pony tail but other days I did not. I think I will buy one in the Sm/Med size. The owner of Beach Bum said there is a new size that is Medium size only and it is different

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

I purchased two for our February vacation to VG. We are avid snorkellers (it's a vacation priority for us) with our own (dive shop fitted and purchased) gear. i have been researching these for a year or two and finally pulled the trigger.

Well, we were blown away by the tribord masks! Search on my username and you'll find a couple of posts from February where I report on my thoughts. I doubt I will ever use my traditional set again. My 10 yo loved it as well. Like us, he learned on regular gear and was perfectly fine with it but found these masks to be so much better.

For us, it was the increased field of vision that wowed us. The masks are also very comfortable and felt completely natural. I have chin length, thick hair cut in all one length bob and didn't feel any pulling or tangling.

We are germ freaks and I wouldn't hesitate to try a rental mask as nothing touches your lips, eyes or nose.

One thing that concerned me was the reports of the masks malfunctioning. Upon inspection of mine, I concluded that those reports must be associated with the knockoff masks as there is no way the tube could detach unless one simply rested it on top of the mask without any attempt what so ever to insert it as there is a locking tab that makes an audible click when you snap the tube in. I liken it to closing a car door, you can tell he difference between SHUTTING it versus merely pulling it 90% closed. Further, there isn't any part, flaps or other movable pieces to obstruct airflow. There is a float in the center of the tube but that is a seperate area from the air intake.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

I could never snorkel because I could never get the hang of it! These masks are a game changer (and I have long hair) ! We rented from Beach Bum last year (I did not skeeve them at all because your mouth touches nothing). They were so fabulous we purchased our own from a scuba shop in Manhattan (they have since sold out). The Tribord ones are not easy to find and I am always leary of Ebay. On a side note, Head (I think they make a lot of tennis stuff) also makes them now. My husband was thrilled that they have it in black (he thinks it makes him look like Darth Vader) and has just ordered this one as well. The Head one will be arriving this week. They were not cheap either. I think it was $109 vs the $120 we paid for our Tribord's. We just returned from Akumal, Mexico and used our Tribord's daily to snorkel with the turtles. We cannot wait to use again on St John in May. My husband will be bringing his new one (I think he already sold the Tribord).

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

Oh boy, I might be giving my sons tribord to my mom as he will definately want any mask that would remotely make him look like darth Vader!

Indiana
Level Contributor
451 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

Totally agree with everyone. This year was our first year with Tri bord easy breath. We snorkeled so much more and for longer periods. Never had fogging, much better peripheral vision. LOVED them.

Audubon...
Level Contributor
285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

I'm debating one as well. My only question is how hard do they press against your nose? Weird question but I hate things pressing against my nose, gives me sinus pain. I like how traditional masks barely touch the nose, but it looks like these masks maybe squeeze the nose? Thanks

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
463 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy breath snorkeling mask...is it worth it?

I wrote a trip report on the St John forum a few days ago and recounted a story I was told by a man who used a new type of mask which probably is the one you are talking about. The flap over the air tube closed and he had to be rescued by the lifeguard at Trunk Bay. He was alone. He had bought his on the Internet and he asked about his problem at a Cruz Bay snorkel shop and they told him they had only heard of problems with the Internet knockoffs.. You might want to ask about this problem when you rent. Hopefully a reputable rental place is not renting knockoffs. Don't snorkel alone which I have been guilty of myself many times in the past.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Get answers to your questions about St. John