We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question

MA
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question
Save

We fly out THIS Wed. 5/19 out of Boston on Jet Blue. We have to land in Puerto Rico, connect to a Cape Air flight to go to St. Croix.

We got our RAPID ANTIGEN test on Friday 5/14 - with negative results that day.

Just noticed that on a regular covid info sheet from Jet Blue that they say "Travelers to Puerto Rico MUST present a negative MOLECULAR PCR test taken within 72 hours of travel.

Can anyone confirm that this is NOT the case for us folks just "changing planes there" and not actually staying there.

I called Jet Blue and FIRST she said that we would need to get the MOLECULAR test. But, then said "no" - since Puerto Rico is a US territory and we are just changing planes we will be fine.

Please help!

Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
33 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question
Save

You only need it if you are exiting the airport. If you are connecting and staying in the secure area, you are fine.

MA
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
2. Re: URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question
Save

Thank you very much. Needless to say, my heart stopped there for awhile!

Boston
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
33 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question
Save

I was pretty stressed with the entire process but it is very easy. When you get on island you will be sooooo happy! Have a great trip!

MA
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
4. Re: URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question
Save

Thank you so much. We actually went to St. John in November. But, connected in Miami.

So this whole Puerto Rico reference through me for a loop. Such strange times we are living in. We used to take so many things, including ease of travel for granted. I think after things continue to progress, we will all really be able to look back and reflect. But, for now - I am just getting ready for that "1st Painkiller" of the trip!! Again, thank you for your reply and for eliminating that stress for me.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
499 posts
11 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question
Save

Sue, I hesitate to even say this but “if” something should happen that makes you miss the connection in San Juan, there’s a new hotel within the airport. The airline would put you up for the night and you’d still be clear on all regulations.

After landing in STX, when you leave the airport take the route that goes towards Carambola and past Cane Bay to your accommodations (especially if you plan on stopping at The Market). It’s a nice drive once you get closer to the golf course. Then you could stumble upon Off The Wall for your first painkiller...they only come in one size, extra large. Have a great trip!

MA
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
6. Re: URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question
Save

You’re killing be here... but redeeming yourself with Painkiller talk. I am listening to music and finishing up my spreadsheets... lord help me...

Reply to: URGENT: connecting in Puerto Rico covid test question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.