We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walkable and bikeable?

Waterford...
Level Contributor
224 posts
115 reviews
56 helpful votes
Walkable and bikeable?
Save

My husband and I are planning our 15 year wedding anniversary trip for December 2022. We are looking to be where the beaches and water is amazing, but that also has cute, colorful quaint & safe towns. We are at the very infancy stage of our search, where should be start? What island will give us that amazing water and beach where we can walk around outside and look at beautiful colorful buildings and shop little outside markets? We'd love to be able to park and walk and/or bike everywhere. TIA

5 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
21,635 posts
17 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

The USVI are not walking or biking islands. Potholes, winding steep two-lane roads with blind corners are the norm on St Thomas and St John which make both dangerous. St Croix is flatter but everything on all islands is very spread out and the combination that you're seeking is not found. If you stay right in Cruz Bay on St John you can walk to stores and restaurants/bars but to get to beaches you have to drive or taxi. On all the islands you either need to have your own rental car or rely on taxis (and the fares add up very fast).

Boston
Level Contributor
8,235 posts
33 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

You can also stay in Christiansted on St Croix for shops/restaurants. There is a beach in town on Protestant Cay and a hotel called Hotel on the Cay but it is not a 5* resort by any means. It is clean and in a superb location. Other than that you have to drive to other places. As stated above they are not walkable/bikeable islands but you can find places to go for walks.

If the British Virgin Islands is open in December you could look at Virgin Gorda. it is very walkable on the southern part of the island but does not have much in the way of shops.

Edited: April 06, 2021, 7:47 pm
Coral Bay, St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
30 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

Early December in the USVIs generally has better weather and smaller crowds than late December. Biking is a challenge as STTResident said. Cruz Bay on St. John is the main town and is completely walkable. You can walk to Frank Bay and an easy hike to Salomon and Honeymoon Bays for beach time. The rest of the north shore National Park beaches are a drive/taxi.

Cheers, RickG

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
20 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

Rick, I was hoping to keep the first 2 weeks of December a secret :-)

Waterford...
Level Contributor
224 posts
115 reviews
56 helpful votes
5. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

Thank you all for the information. I will continue to do my research and take everything mentioned into consideration.

Reply to: Walkable and bikeable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about U.S. Virgin Islands
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.