We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

Hi. Traveling with husband and 2 sons (28 and 30 ) to Grand Cayman in Feb 2017. Have been to many Caribbean islands and usually stay in a resort. Have never tried airbnb or vrbo but considering a condo for the first time. Want to stay in the Seven Mile Beach area-think the kids will like it better. Have been seeing a lot of rentals for Regal Beach Club or Cayman Reef Resort. Can anyone give me some ideas on these condos? Would like to be very close to beach (walk there and back to room if needed). Close to restaurants, supermarkets etc. Was considering not renting a car but will do so if people tell us we should. Would like to explore the island somewhat-but willing to do excursions or cabs if that is ok. I am most concerned about the condo-want something newer, clean, good location to things. Are there others we should consider? Or would we better off in a resort that has all the amenities (for the kids mostly. I don't want them to be bored if the condo is too quiet). Any info would be helpful. Thanks so much!

51 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

What are the ages of your sons' kids?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

Just four of us. Myself, hubby, son 28 years old and another son 30 yes old. No small children. 4 adults.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

First of all, you definitely want a condo vs hotel. All condos are inspected annually by the government which holds them to rigid standards. All will be updated, modern, and almost all have daily maid service. And all are directly on SMB.....just step right onto the soft sand.... no crossing streets or walking required. The 2 properties you mentioned are fine. Just don't go further south than Regal Beach which is directly north of the Marriott, where all sorts of water sports are available. Look at www.caymanvacations.com or www.caydirect.com for condo listings. Www.caymangoodtaste.com has an excellent interactive map which will show you the locations of many condos along SMB as well as menu selections from most of the fabulous restaurants on the island. The condos in mid-SMB (from Regal Beach north to the Public Beach) are all in the best location, walkable to supermarkets, liquor stores, & shops. I feel that you should rent a car for your stay. GC is a quite safe island and easy to navigate. You will miss many of the beautiful attractions and restaurants if you limit yourself to taxis. To say nothing of the cost...... much cheaper to rent a car for the duration of your stay. Please look at the websites & come back with more questions!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

Both of those are fine, but suggest you also consider Coralstone Club, Meridian, Beachcomber, Casa Caribe, and Caribbean Club if budget not a concern. If having a pool not required look at Islands Club and Villas of the Galleon. These are all along the best part of SMB and close to many restaurants, grocery store, water op venues, etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

Excellent suggestions,

To our family, a pool is not necessary when the Caribbean Sea is right there! 🌴

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

Looked at many of the condos and they are all quite beautiful. Was trying to keep budget down to$ 550-700/night and some of those were over $ 1,000/night for my dates. If I go a little further south (Cayman Reef Resort, Regal Beach Club, Tamarind Bay) does anyone have an opinion as to anything about these condos? was concerned that Regal Beach Club had so many available? Is there something about this property that makes it less desirable?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

The beaches at Regal Beach & Cayman Reef are fine, but personally I would not want to be any further south (towards George Town) including the Marriott's beach. The beach at that point narrows considerably & there is a lot of ironstone (rock) in the water. If you look at googlemap you should be able to zoom in on the coastline.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

If you rent a car you could look at the northern end of SMB...the rates are lower and you are still right on the beach in lovely accommodations. YOu would just be a very short drive to restaurants, watersports etc.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

Good suggestion, I would recommend Christopher Columbus condos if needing a car for the short drive to groceries and restaurants would not be an issue. Closer to the central area, look at Plantana.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area

Only thing about being further north is that I expect the 28 and 30 year old might like to be able to walk to some of the bars at night time which they can't do from the northern properties. I know I would if I were them. I live at Cayman Reef so you all know that I am biased but I think the location is great for going out and about. The beach is plenty wide at both Cayman Reef and Regal Beach. Just not as wide as at the mid Seven Mile properties but that is one of the reasons why the rates are lower. There are lots of units listed for Regal Beach because one owner has a lot that he manages privately...not through their rental pool which is why there are so many on there.

Reply to: Which condo to stay at in Seven Mile Beach Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach