We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happened with the beach at Marriott??

Morganville, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What happened with the beach at Marriott??

This is what I post in my review for my recent stay:

"Every time we visit Marriott in Cayman, the beach become even smaller!!! Look at the beach pictures here on Tripadvisor from 5- 10 years ago - it was much wider! Now, it become so narrow that in some spots only two rows of chairs can be put on the beach and the front row will be almost in the water! And this create lots of space issues with the beach chairs as people are almost seating on top of each other. We were very disappointed with the beach! I don't know if management is planning to do anything about it, but even though we love the hotel, I mainly come to Cayman for a beach, so next time we will look to stay elsewhere - condos, Westin or Ritz."

I did sent an email to the management, but they never responded.

8 replies to this topic
Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What happened with the beach at Marriott??

They probably won't.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What happened with the beach at Marriott??

Mother Nature

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
696 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What happened with the beach at Marriott??

They built the hotel too close to the shoreline.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,809 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What happened with the beach at Marriott??

When they first built the hotel the beach was non existent for the opening. It comes and goes. That is why they put in the reef balls. The recent storms did bring us high seas and the shoreline was a casualty as can happen anywhere. This past winter storms took away sand at the northern end of SMB. It is an ongoing cycle but not permanent or anything unexpected. The sand could all be back next week if Mother Nature is in the mood.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What happened with the beach at Marriott??

The beachfront at the Marriott has always been quite limited. Mother Nature deposited quite a lot more sand there with Hurricane Ivan in September 2014 but she then took it back rather quickly. I have never ccasionally seen it when there were 5 rows of loungers with the first row smack at water's edge and the last one against the sea wall, yet most times only 2-3 rows. The property itself is lovely, but I never recommend it for those wanting a nice beach that allows for elbow room. Many reviews and forum posts over the past many years mention this drawback.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What happened with the beach at Marriott??

I am in agreement with all of the above. Even though Irma & Maria passed far away from the Cayman Islands, the seas were affected and tides extremely high. Usually there are only 2 rows of chairs on the Marriott's beach, but right now those chairs seem unusually close. I normally comment that the chairs are so close that you can hardly see the sand. I would be terribly disappointed if I arrived at the MarriottGC Beach Resort expecting a spectacular beach. After all, Seven Mile Beach is consistently rated amount the top 10 beaches in the WORLD. The Marriott hotel itself looks great, but most people come to the island for the beach.....not for the hotel room.

Condo beaches in mid SMB are fabulous & never crowded.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,679 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What happened with the beach at Marriott??

What happened is what others have said, the hotel is too close to the shoreline. When they first built the hotel, the beach bar was located further away from the beach and the beach was a decent size. Can't remember if it was Hurricane Gilbert or some other storm that damaged the Marriott pool area, but when they rebuilt it, they pushed that patio even closer to the natural shoreline with the plan of bringing in sand to expand the size of the beach. You can see how well that plan worked.

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
696 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What happened with the beach at Marriott??

The places on SMB with the best beaches are built on top of, or behind the natural dune. When you build on the sea side of the dune, beach erosion is guaranteed to happen.

Reply to: What happened with the beach at Marriott??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach