We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

Middletown, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

I am thinking of booking a condo at The Avalon near the public beach and Governers Beach. Wondering if anyone has opinions on this condo complex and does the public beach just down the way attract a lot of crowds (from cruise ships, etc.)?

18 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,679 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

Wonderful property. All units face the sea and plenty of palapas and shady spots for those who avoid the sun. I've never seen more than a handful of people on their huge stretch of beach, even during Xmas/NYE week.

As far as cruisers, literally, nearly all of them will never spend time anywhere that's more than 100 feet from a bathroom. The 'adventurous' ones occasionally encroach on the northern edge of Harbour Heights but, other than beach walkers/joggers, that's about as far as they'll go.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

Avalon is a lovely property and totally unaffected by cruisers, Public Beach.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

I agree with both of the above. I have stayed at Avalon & would book there in a heartbeat! It's a beautiful property.

If you do stay there, please report back on the supposed *crowds*. I'll be surprised if you can count more than a dozen people on the beach there at any one time.

Enjoy!!!

Middletown, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

Thanks for the replies! Anyone have recommendations on particular units? Is there ever a problem with things being stolen from the lower units?

Middletown, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

And if we stayed in a unit that is on the upper floors, is it a long walk to get to the elevators (if we need to use the restroom while at the beach or pool)?

Edited: September 20, 2017, 12:09 am
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,679 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

"Is there ever a problem with things being stolen from the lower units?"

Huh? This place has 24/7 security. People like the ground floor units for convenience. If you're already wondering about running to the bathroom while on the beach then definitely consider a ground floor unit.

Middletown, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

I don't think I've ever stayed in a ground floor unit, my husband is a bit paranoid. If it's something I shouldn't be worried about though, maybe we'll try it this time... sure seems more convenient.

(I've had two children and am traveling with my older mother and 2 kids ...so a close bathroom is always on mind. LOL! ;)

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

In all the many years that we stayed in a ground floor condo, we never experienced a theft. Common sense is to close the coverings on the sliders when not home, keep valuables and electronics out of sight and keep the street side door locked when you are on the beach. You'll be fine, Avalon is a great property and you will love the convenience of a ground floor unit. Be sure to rent a car.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

Same experience as kiddos and same common sense advice. We also prefer ground level condos, precisely follow the same procedures, and have never had any negatives arise. The ease of staying in a ground floor unit is unparalleled even when not toting along little ones! You are all going to be very happy with your stay.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?

Conblake....but not to say that doesn't happen...we do stay in ground floor units and have never had a problem, but we bought wood poles to put in the sliding windows and doors...just a little extra insurance for us

Edited: September 20, 2017, 5:11 am
Reply to: Staying at the Avalon and nearby public beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach