We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GCM Airport Experience

Austin, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GCM Airport Experience

Really excited about possibly going to GCM over the summer but reviews about how chaotic the aiport is, is somewhat dampening my excitement. We're flying Southwest and coming back using Delta ( because it has a connecting flight to our home city and SW does not). We're flying in Tuesday and leaving Wednesday the week after. How bad is the whole airport situation?

Thank you!!!

74 replies to this topic
Oceanside, New York
Level Contributor
178 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: GCM Airport Experience

We had ZERO issues on a Sat home to NY. The only people who seemed to encounter delays were trying to fly with liquid items.

Austin, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: GCM Airport Experience

As a follow up to this post let me just share with y'all that we had nothing but wonderful experiences in the Cayman Islands. I was really apprehensive about the airport only because we were traveling with family in many different age levels with different needs. Other negative reviews didn't help as well but when we got there everybody was really pleasant, polite, and efficient. I did my due diligence as well by making sure that all my liquids were under 3.4 oz were packed in a quart size bag ( my liquids/creams were more first aid stuff rather than make up). I also had a 4 oz unopened bottle of antihistamine and an epi-pen which I had a letter of medical necessity for and our bags were neither searched nor opened. We did not check in any bags but we were very conscientious in packing and following the rules.

However, one of our companions did not take heed on the 311 rule and had a whole make up bag filled with creams/gels/make up which was searched and ended by delaying the line.

Granted that the airport was smaller than all the other airports we have passed by before, it did what it's suppose to do.

The agents were nothing but polite and friendly, way better than the ATL airport agents.

Thank y'all for providing feedback when I was needing clarification!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
14 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: GCM Airport Experience

Left sunday afternoon out of airport. It was the most chaotic airport i have ever seen. A lot of planes heading out . Status annoucements were being made near gate but they couldnt be heard where people were sitting. Then once people ralized they were set to board there was a mass scrabble to get toward the gate. Quite honestly it remined me of a true third world country. They are building a new terminal this year which should help but i would not go back until it is done

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: GCM Airport Experience

Jerry.....were you not aware of the airport construction project? Did you check FlightAware.com? Or did you check in online to determine your gate?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: GCM Airport Experience

Jerry L, it's too bad that you had such a negative experience when departing the Grand Cayman airport. That can really cast a negative vibe over the entire trip. I know because I had a terrible experience with the Provo airport in the Turks and Caicos, but after time I was able to forget the airport trauma and remember the positive things about my lovely vacation.

GCM has always been a crowded busy place on weekends but it has gotten worse during the construction project, and the pressures of the high-season crowds and increased numbers of tourists have added to the mayhem.

If you decide that you would like to go back to Cayman some time, there are steps you can take to make it easier. Suggestions include traveling on weekdays or looking for flights that don't arrive/leave during the peak times if you have some options. Traveling during the off-season is less crowded and hiring a concierge service to shepherd you through the mess can make the experience much less painful. The suggestion of checking in early and then taking the free shuttle to the yacht club to relax and enjoy the last of your vacation is a good one.

It seems a little weird that you have to take extra steps just to minimize a bad airport experience, but hopefully when the construction is complete things will be easier. The airport authorities are looking at ways to make things easier - right now they are testing the process of clearing visitors through Cayman immigration in Miami to reduce the pressure on the GCM airport facility; fingers crossed that things will improve.

I hope that you had a good trip except for the departure mess!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: GCM Airport Experience

As far as I am concerned, the moment I arrive at an airport, the trip is over, no matter where I am, pretty much. I refuse to allow the almost inevitable travel woes to spoil a trip.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,845 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: GCM Airport Experience

"Quite honestly it remined me of a true third world country"

Just be thankful you don't have to fly through LaGuardia.

nydailynews.com/news/national/laguardia-airp…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: GCM Airport Experience

Smushie, I agree. I will do everything possible to avoid La Guardia airport. It was already terrible, and then they took the whole place apart to do extensive renovations. Stay away!!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: GCM Airport Experience

Or JFK, MIA or LAX when they are having a bad day!!!! And sadly MIA gets my vote for the rudest security personnel to boot.

New Paltz, New York
Level Contributor
838 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: GCM Airport Experience

This is, I am sure, a stupid question but I usually print my boarding passes ahead of time (and that checks me in) but I won't have access to a computer or printer on the island. What is the easiest way to move through the departure process in Cayman airport? Are there kiosks where I can scan our passports? We do have to check some luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Reply to: GCM Airport Experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach