We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?

S R
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

I am hoping to work from Vieques for a few days. Is the WiFi good on the island?

I also heard that tourists are now able to take the ferry from Cieba to Vieques and wanted to know if this is true. How difficult is it to actually make it onto the ferry? I will be taking the ferry on a Monday which may be better than a weekend. The flights are more expensive but is it really worth it?

18 replies to this topic
El Monte, California
1 post
1. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

Hi I’m super I te rested in knowing what your experience is! Please keep us updated

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
9,566 posts
24 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

There is no WiFi covering the Island. WiFi is the responsibility of the owner of the Hotel or Airbnb you are renting from. Strength will depend on the Router in place, so each will be different.

boston
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

The ferry in unreliable. I’m not sure what you mean “making it to the ferry”. The flight is $40 each way and is very, very much worth it.

S R
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

@PR_Bob Thanks for your reply. I understand that there is no WiFi covering the island. I just wanted to get some input from travelers or locals if the WiFi service is good enough to provide me with connection without any outages. On my travels I've been to some areas where they say there is WiFi but it is very slow and spotty regardless of which service you have, so just wanted to make sure here.

S R
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

@jdgosox Ahh ok thanks for confirming! I've heard stories of the ferry breaking down last minute or getting cancelled last minute. Flight it is!

On another note, I am planning on renting a car for a few days in Vieques. I saw that you can also rent a golf cart or UTV. Am I allowed to take the golf cart/UTV to the same areas the cars can go? Are there any restrictions for golf carts/UTV? I would like to get to Playa la Chiva and some other spots and want to make sure I can take a golf cart/UTV there.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
50 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

as with anywhere, wifi strength depends on the provider and equipment. fast service is available, whether you will have it where you stay is something we cant determine. do any of the reviews for where you are staying mention the wifi strength?

as for the ferry,

you MAY be able to make it on but i wouldnt count on it. flying is worth it

boston
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

My two cents on the golf cart. You could make it work. But I wouldn’t try it. A lot of the roads to beaches (most of the roads) are long, dirt, dusty drives. You’d end up with a face full of dirt every time you went somewhere. If you were staying for one day and maybe just going to SunBay, sure. You’ll be fine. The cart works a bit better on Culebra. But for Vieques you’re best in a car/jeep.

United States
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
196 reviews
373 helpful votes
8. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

just back in April...Not always WIFI or even phone signal sometimes in some places.....didn't care....I was on vacation.

take the flight...time saver and dependable and pretty view to boot

i vote no on golf cart unless you plan on just going to like Sunbay or someplace w/ a good road...we went EVERYwhere...with our rented Isuzu trooper...some of the roads had pretty good potholes and some had sugar sand etc....no issues for us...we saw golf carts going a long way just to turn around before they got to where they truly wanted.

Edited: May 13, 2021, 11:33 pm
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

We saw people with golf carts and frankly they did not look very happy. Going super slow in major heat on rough roads... not fun. I do not recommend.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
9,566 posts
24 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Save

If you are going for only a few Days I would check with the bigger hotels. Blue Horizon, Hacienda Tamarindo, El Bloc etc. Ask them directly.

Reply to: Is the WiFi strong? and are the ferries taking tourists?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.