We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Juan vs Grand Cayman

St. Louis
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

I know this is a silly question because the 2 probably cannot compare, but I was wondering

what people thought about the differences between these 2 beautiful places to visit? I'm looking for nice beaches for snorkeling and old word charm cities to explore with history and good food for a trip next February. Any experiences you all could share would be appreciated. Thanks

10 replies to this topic
boston
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

I think you’ve sort of got your answer. You’re right. These two places could not be more different. GC does have nice beaches and some decent food. IMO not really island food but you’ll eat. And there is really no charm to the place. It’s nice. Clean. Safe. But that’s about it. Puerto Rico is way larger. Definitely historic and charming. You’ll find very good food all over the island. But. For snorkeling you will have to travel away from San Juan. It’s on the Atlantic, after all. The out islands and south south/west have nicer beaches.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

I’m unsure if I would bet on GC for February 2022. I would probably go with the ‘sure’ bet of PR, simply due to current rules. I know they have released some plans to get moving, but that’s what I would do. And I’ve been to both and prefer GC.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,513 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
3. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

I agree with everything on post #1.

These destinations are way too different. It's like trying to compare night and day. They both have their own, different attractions.

Based on your post, you'll enjoy San Juan more than GC.

Edited: July 28, 2021, 9:14 pm
New Jersey
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

Sorry to thread drift here, but my wife and I are looking to go on a beach getaway in September or October and have never really considered PR before. We are looking for reasonable cost with nice beach and pool, good snorkeling and diving. We are not foodies, so almost anything would work food wise.

What area of PR would be good for that so i can visit the specific forum and where would i fly into? Also, are there good VRBO rentals available or is it mainly resorts? TIA.

Edited: July 28, 2021, 10:40 pm
Boston...
Level Contributor
49,609 posts
1,306 reviews
351 helpful votes
5. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

A new thread would be wise, Gregg, as your question is quite a tangent from this discussion

New Jersey
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

Agreed Northern Traveler. It will get more responses in a separate thread so i created a new one. THanks.

Centennial
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
22 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

GC if you want an all-inclusive.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
165 posts
26 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

Strange as it may seem since Puerto Rico is a US territory and GC obviously is not. I thought GC was more like a mainland beach vacation than Puerto Rico. GC was really nice but we felt like we had done pretty much everything we wanted to do there so don’t feel pressed to go back although we would should we get an opportunity. It is a much smaller island. We spent 15 days in Puerto Rico and are going back because there are some things we wanted to do that we will do in January when we return. We were there right after the earthquake and so didn’t explore the south side of the island at all as we didn’t want to eat in the way of recovery efforts, so we are looking at some time exploring that area.

Bottom line though, both were pretty great and I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
9. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

Pete, thanks for your response! If you have a few moments and only if (I don’t want to waste your time), but could you give me a few highlights/must see or dos that you recommend in San Juan for a late Jan visit? I’ve never been and always find personal recommendations so helpful in planning daily schedules. I’m looking forward to exploring as we’ll have a car. Thanks and safe travels.

Boston...
Level Contributor
49,609 posts
1,306 reviews
351 helpful votes
10. Re: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Save

Mack:

You should post this final question as it's own question or check the existing "what should I do in SJ" threads. Burying that kind of info in a thread with this title won't help many other folks and you will get more replies in a dedicated thread

Reply to: San Juan vs Grand Cayman
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.