We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid test

Irvine, California
3 posts
Covid test
Save

Hi all. Going to San Juan next week. Very curious as to what covid tests you have gotten. Discover Puerto Rico.com states "Required to provide evidence of either a PCR molecular or antigen COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of arrival". There are so many pcr tests. I'm not sure if any of these are right. CVS has a pcr-naat test. Another one is rt-pct. Any help would be appreciated. 😁

9 replies to this topic
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
604 posts
57 reviews
91 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid test
Save

It is confusing. I'm vaccinated so my trip to PR will be easy. But facing the same question for a trip to Portugal. The PCR and NAAT are both molecular tests. Hawaii actually requires the NAAT (Abbott IDNow). I think PCR is used generically to mean molecular test in many cases. This page looks like they accept the Abbott test:

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/puerto-rico

Edited: June 16, 2021, 11:19 am
Irvine, California
3 posts
2. Re: Covid test
Save

Thank you for the reply! I will look into this website. Also, I'm originally from Wichita as well! Enjoy the summer!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
3. Re: Covid test
Save

This list was published on Facebook by the PR Secretary of Health on 11 May ....

Airport will be accepting any diagnosis molecular test result to detect COVID-19 with Approval 510 (k) or an FDA Emergency Use Authorization (US) and whose method of sampling be through the nasopharyngeal swab.

Example of this is IDNow test manufactured by Abbott.

Other alternatives available are:

Panther

Cepheid

BD Max

AQ Top

Color Sars

Pro Amp

Mobile Detect Bio

Pacific Dx

T2 SARS

Lumirax

iAMP

Sherlock CRISP

Accula

Procleix

AQ TOP

CUE Covid

Link to FB post -- https://www.facebook.com/prsecsalud/posts/191040229538635

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
207 posts
186 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid test
Save

Do you have to take the test if you are fully vaccinated? Thanks for your help!

Homewood, Illinois
2 posts
5. Re: Covid test
Save

No, you don’t have to test if you’re fully vaccinated (at least 2 weeks since your full vaccination). You have to upload your vaccine card to the portal to get your QR code.

SW
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Covid test
Save

Oh it has to be 2 weeks since your second dose? I hadn’t read that anywhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid test
Save

CVS non rapid test I believe is the one you need. I went to CVS and walgreens to take covid test on the same day to ensure one of them would be back on time for my trip

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
8. Re: Covid test
Save

@Sherrey W: It would be redundant to note the second dose beings "fully vaccinated" means having both doses. So yes, 2 weeks since your second dose.

SW
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Covid test
Save

Oh wow. My 12 year old gets her second dose about 5 days before we leave so I guess she will need a COVID test too?

Reply to: Covid test
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Juan
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.