We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with baby in San Juan?

Richmond, Virginia
2 posts
Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

Hi! First time mom here traveling with my husband, 2 friends, and my 11 month old to San Juan later this week. We know about the PCR test and have that scheduled. Any other tips or things to know about traveling with a little one (specifically to San Juan or otherwise)? We're staying in a condo in Condado if that helps!

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

Take your own car seat if you plan to rent a car. Also take a stroller. And plenty of sunscreen (or buy it at Walgreens, CVS, or any local store).

You can buy snacks at said stores, or the supermarket.

Richmond, Virginia
2 posts
2. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

We are bringing the car seat, so I'm glad it will be needed for our car! Glad to know that snacks and sunscreen are easy to come by once down there. I assume I can also get diapers and formula? Or would I need to bring formula with us?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
24 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

PR being part of the US has everything you would find at home. Grocery stores are fully stocked with everything you will need. Check with your insurance companies. I have Progress for my Car insurance at home and it fully covers me in PR as does my Credit card. Before I went on Medicare, I had Aetna health insurance and the Rio Padres Medical center was in network. US Banking system, so no need to carry large amounts of cash. Credit cards are used widely and ATMs are readily available. Have fun.

New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

Avoid Condado at night it can get crazy and you don't want to be in the craziness with a baby. I'd go elsewhere to eat.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
843 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

Personally I would bring as much formula as I could, the last thing you want to worry about is that.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
24 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

Don't know why you are saying that Lola. This is the Walgreen in the Condado. Corner of Ashford and Condado Ave. Can't miss it. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/productlist/N=359449-2000014765

Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
519 posts
14 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

I agree with Bob you will be able to get whatever you need. Condado area was busier and with more of a party crowd then I have ever seen but I was only there one night, a Sunday it could have quited down. Monday morning seemed quieter. It is what it is...you'll still be fine venturing out with a baby

Leesville, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

You can get anything in PR that you can get in US. And just as easily.

Good Luck!

New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

Glowgirl Condado was fine during the day and not the best at night half naked tourist everywhere it was bad. Now it might be worse as curfew ends at 12 not 10. I think it's best to avoid Condado at night with a baby

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
10. Re: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Save

I couldn't agree more with the comments regarding Condado. These days, with everything going on and what has happened, it's best to stay somewhere quiet as Isla Verde, or outside San Juan.

As far baby formula....I would suggest taking your own just to be on the safe side. It's most likely available in PR, but certainty is no longer a luxury we can enjoy ever since the pandemic started.

Everything else you can find in PR, just like you would at home. It's a US territory after all.

Edited: May 19, 2021, 7:57 pm
Reply to: Traveling with baby in San Juan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Juan
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.