We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Tour in Old San Juan

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

Would you recommend a walking guided tour in Old San Juan? Is it worth it? Or I can cover the area on my own? I have half day in the afternoon in that area on a weekday.

12 replies to this topic
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
1. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

San Juan is very safe, you can do it on your own. Just do it best at daytime and be cautious like any other country in the world don't be wondering around in secluded areas late at night. Avoid la Perla, it's not a tourist area. It's been a hype lately but it's not a place to go and wonder on your own or without knowledge of the place and their rules.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
8 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

It's very easy to do by yourself & you get to pick the route as well as points of interest. Download an online tourist map. Stop by one of the tourist offices for a free map and help with any questions.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

It's easy just yo wander around by yourself at your own pace but if you want something organized consider one of the food tours in OSJ - they typically cover the history and also give you an insight into the local foods

Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

We found this self guided tour, "Old San Juan: Let the city's buildings tell you their stories on an audio tour" via VoiceMap. It's less than $6 and looks to hit all the major sights. We are going to try it later this month:

"Talking Buildings" is a first-person account of the historic buildings of Old San Juan. Created by the Saint John's School 6th grade Social Studies class of 2022, this self-guided audio walking tour will take you on a journey through time, from the 16th century to modern-day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
5. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

This is great, thank you for all the suggestions!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
236 reviews
118 helpful votes
6. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

Do it on your own. It's very easy to do.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

ddthomas3, I'm so impressed by the student made audio walking tour that you suggested. I'm tempted to do it when I go early July. (I'd been considering one of the free tours offered by civitatis.com). If you do use it and get a chance, I'd really appreciate it if you could do a quick post about how it was in hindsight. No worries if you don't get to it. (The link is below in case anyone else is interested in taking a look). Thank you!

https://voicemap.me/tour/san-juan/talking-buildings-of-old-san-juan/sites

2 posts
8. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

@ddthomas3 We used this today and it was amazing!! Highly recommend! You can just stick your phone in your pocket and go...it will tell you where to turn. When to stop. Etc. Loved listening to the students tell the stories.

Edited: June 07, 2021, 6:42 am
Framingham...
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

That's great Carrie! Thanks for letting us know! I will plan on doing it : )

2 posts
10. Re: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Save

*A couple of streets were closed so we had to do some backtracking, but it wasn’t an issue other than some extra walking. 😉 Just follow the map (you’ll be using GPS in VoiceMap while you take the tour) and you can get back on track!

Reply to: Walking Tour in Old San Juan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.