We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls

Framingham...
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Save

After much waffling about if it's worth it I just bit bullet (total: $376) & bought flights to Culebra on a Sun. in July for my son, 30, & I from San Juan. (Isla Grande no cheaper, difference w/ car rental not worth it to go to Ceiba). Arrive in Culebra @ 10am, depart @ 5:30. Good idea to rent a golf cart (now? from who/contact info?) and go 1st to Flamenco & then to Zoni? Wondering if that seems like a good plan given the limited amount of time (what time do we need to be back at airport?) or if you have a better itinerary recommendation...or if you think it's not worth it for only one day. [We thought we'd stay based in Isla Verde, rent a car for a couple days & make a day/eve trip to hike in El Yunque followed by a Fajardo bio bay tour (it's the right week, moon-wise) and then go another day to Culebra.

Is it worth it to bring our snorkel masks (I have full face one) & fins or water shoes? After lung & heart surgery I'm not the strongest swimmer vs. currents, but I do enjoy snorkeling from shore. Not a necessity though.

I have been known to get nauseous on little planes & boats, so a bit nervous about anything involving either, but figured this was a rare opportunity to see Culebra. If you see this & think I should reconsider for any reason feel free to let me know because I have about 22 hours to get a full flight refund!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

7 replies to this topic
Framingham...
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Save

Just a P.S....Given all the comments on TA about limited things being open & that it's a Sunday I thought we'd just bring food/sancks & water. Good idea? Or is there a snack shack or some place we shouldn't miss (don't need much & don't want to use valuable time dining). Thanks!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
2. Re: Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Save

Reserve your transportation on Culebra sooner than later. Weekends in July will be extremely crowded in Culebra.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Save

Thank you for that advice, will do. Any ideas about who is reliable for a decent golf cart & contact info ...or if that even seems like a good idea would be appreciated.

boston
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Save

Try Jerry’s. You can walk across the street from the airport.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Save

Thank you jdgosox! (I'm with you! Go Sox! 🤞) Great to have a name - especially with such a convenient location. Will check out the details on their website.

Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
519 posts
14 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Save

We have had good experiences with Jerry's.

Because you have to take buy insurance with golf carts it might be worth it to get a jeep and use your own insurance. Check with your insurance company ours covers us in Puerto Rico. Bring a copy Jerry's will waive insurance requirement. You won't need copy on the main Island but I believe we needed it on Culebra.

You don't need to be back at the Airport more than 30min before your flight. You'll return your vehicle in the airport parking lot.

If you decide to snorkel visit Tamarindo to see turtles

We liked playa Sardinas for snorkeling but Carlos Rosario was closed the times we went to Culebra and that's probably the best spot to snorkel. There's a trail right before the parking lot for Flamenco beach

Framingham...
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Save

Thank you glowgirlri! You hit on very important points for me. Never having done this before I was perplexed about what choices to make regarding insurance, so your advice was very much appreciated. Will reconsider the vehicle type, Your airport and snorkeling tips are great too, This will really help us to more efficiently plan our day. Thanks again!

Reply to: Culebra - Day Trip Help Pls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.