We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a 2-month trip.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
895 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

Next year, my husband and I plan to fly into San Juan, rent a car, then drive as far as Arecibo. We want to see things in the area like Cueva Ventana. How many nights should we stay in Arecibo in order to see everything? Two, three or more nights?

Then we're driving to the Rincon area to stay. How many weeks?

Then we'll drive to Ceiba area because we want to fly into Culebra and stay a week, possibly longer.

After flying back, we'll stay in Isla Verde for the remainder of our time.

I know it would be less driving to stay at a few more places, but we don't want to pack up and move too many times. I'm beginning to learn it doesn't take long to drive from one point in P.R. to another point. We love snorkeling, swimming, walking on beaches and hiking.

Does anyone have even a rough idea of how long we should dedicate to each place? Are we making a mistake in not staying somewhere in the southern area, such as in Ponce, if we want to explore the southern half?

I know this is a hard question to answer, but any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

8 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

Lori

If I had 2 months in PR I'd stay a week in Rincon a week in Manati and definitely do Culebra and Vieques and also do Isabela Aguadilla etc for about a week

Edited: May 16, 2021, 7:03 am
wisconsin
Level Contributor
895 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
2. Re: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

Thanks Worldwide. We don't want to do both Culebra and Vieques as that would involve too much flying, dropping rental cars off, rerenting, etc. Isn't Isabella and Aguadilla near Rincon? If we stay in Rincon, we could drive to those places? My husband seems to think we can get away with staying in only 3 places the entire time, then just take day trips.

New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

Lori

Isabela is close to Rincon it's Isabela Aguadilla Aguada then Rincon

Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
518 posts
14 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

You could base in Rincon and visit Aguadilla, Isabela and south, southwest Cabo Rojo, La Parguera, Ponce.

You have alot of time you could also move locations. I love Culebra but we have only spent 4-6nights most but 2 weeks on Vieques still isn't enough. There's just more there more restaurants, more grocery stores, more beaches. Flamenco air used to do a flight between Culebra and Vieques if they start that again two weeks in Vieques and a day trip to Culebra. I would definitely do that. Two weeks seems like enough time to settle in and get a feel of an area so I would do 2 weeks San Juan at end of your trip so you can fly out from there, 2 weeks Rincon, 2 weeks I'm suggesting Vieques but Culebra and split the rest Arecibo, Farjado maybe?

boston
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

I think you could stay a full month in Rincon. Arecibo is fairly close by. And that whole west coast can be explored from the Rincon/Isabella area. Plus renting for a month may get you a deal. That would leave you a solid week for Culebra. And then you can stay in Carolina for the remaining 3 weeks. Close to OSJ. A day trip or two to the rain forest. Luquillo. I get that you don’t want to stay on Culebra and Vieques. But if I had a second month to spare I would do 2 weeks on Vieques. And the final 2 in Carolina.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
895 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
6. Re: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

Thanks for your advice everyone. I really appreciate it. We are definitely staying on Culebra for a whole week. I've read the beaches are wonderful and we'd be able to snorkel a lot. It sounds like the places we should stay then are Rincon area, Culebra and then Carolina (Isla Verde). Thank you all again!!!

Leesville, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

Now that I have been there, I would say two months is about right to spend. I found OSJ more compact and easier to get around, and the island more compact and easier to get around than I had expected.

I agree with you about staying as few places as possible. I would stay one west, one east of SJ and one on the islands.

Have fun!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
895 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
8. Re: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Save

Thanks, Amy P.! Looks like that's what we'll do.

Reply to: Advice for a 2-month trip.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.