We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week last minute trip if we can pull together

Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
16 helpful votes
1 week last minute trip if we can pull together
Save

Hello-we are a family of 4 with two college kids. We are trying to put together a one week trip to somewhere, for the 3rd or 4th week of June. We should have planned it earlier given how booked everything is, but just got vaccinated and kids just got jobs for later in the summer. Anyway, Puerto Rico seems nice so I wanted to ask a few questions about it. From a little research it seems like it involves a road trip sort of vacation which I think could be complicated to put together at this stage. We like the beach, water sports, culture, food. I don't want to get on any airplanes once I'm there. It seems like going to the rainforest could be done as a day trip from San Juan. We would probably be happier staying in a resort for a few days, doing some day trips, rather than moving from one place to the other. So my question is, would it make sense to try to plan a trip involving staying in one place, with a couple of day trips, or then are we really missing seeing the best things, and we should defer till another time? Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: 1 week last minute trip if we can pull together
Save

You can stay in San Juan and do day trips. That's what most visitors do. The rainforest and the bio bay are located in the same vicinity, about an hour east of San Juan, so definitely could be done as a day trip from San Juan. The same applies to Ponce.

Both Sonesta and Fairmont in Isla Verde are very nice resort-style hotels right on the nicest beach in San Juan.

The Condado area also has nice hotels, but the beach is not safe to swim in. It has very strong under currents that have caused a number of drownings as recent as last month. But it's only a 5-minutes car ride from Isla Verde, so you can easily hop between the 2 areas.

Reserve a day to see Old San Juan.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
842 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: 1 week last minute trip if we can pull together
Save

Check to see if you need times passes for the rainforest, unsure if they are still doing that or not.

I would get one of the hotels already mentioned that’s very resort like and chill and enjoy!

Just be mindful of the Covid testing etc that everyone will need to do and the associated paperwork and timelines. If you are looking for easy, I wouldn’t travel ‘outside’ of the continental USA. I’m only saying this if you are already feeling panicky about pulling it together. You just have to pay attention to the guidelines and it will be fine

Edited: May 14, 2021, 9:44 pm
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: 1 week last minute trip if we can pull together
Save

thanks folks! I'm not worried about the Covid testing, we are fully vaccinated and its easy to get a test near me. Thanks for the tips and I'll see if those places have availability.

Much appreciated.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
4. Re: 1 week last minute trip if we can pull together
Save

Actually, you do have to worry about the Covid testing. It is a requirement to enter the island. Even fully vaccinated individuals. You will receive a $300 fine (per person) if a negative test result is not presented at the SJU airport before exiting the building.

Please familiarize yourself with the current travel requirements and restrictions. They have been well documented throughout this forum.

1 post
5. Re: 1 week last minute trip if we can pull together
Save

Paris7002, Re-read what Roselyn said. She wrote that they were vaccinated AND “it’s easy to get a test near me.”

Edited: May 16, 2021, 11:08 am
Reply to: 1 week last minute trip if we can pull together
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.