We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

Announced this afternoon -- Effective 28 April -- Show proof of negative PCR test, or pay $300

Announced by the health department today

ALL (even if vaccinated) passengers arriving in Puerto Rico must have negative PCR test results in-hand (of test administered within past 72 hours). If not, you will be fined $300. If you can produce negative results within 48 hours of arrival, the $300 fine will be refunded.

"self-quarantine" is no longer an option.

19 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
281 posts
4 reviews
37 helpful votes
1. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

Thanks for the update...I'm traveling in two weeks.

Discover PR does not say anything about fining $300 is you don't have results yet or a refund? Testing results in NY come back pretty quick as opposed to last year 6 days...I'm good. Now it seems timing is key.

"Those arriving without a negative test are required to upload those results within 48 hours of arrival; those who fail to do so will be fined $300. The negative test must then be uploaded to the online portal to continue with their trip; if positive, the person must isolate and seek medical attention. If a traveler is still awaiting results from a test taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival when they land, they will have up to 48 hours to upload those results."

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
234 reviews
118 helpful votes
2. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

Thanks for the update.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
3. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

@cariocagirl1brasilia -- this was announced late yesterday afternoon. DiscoverPuertoRico probably hasn't updated their site yet.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

Here's my question. Previously, did you ever show the negative PCR at the airport or simply upload it to the site and obtain the QR code? In the future, is that the same in that if you upload to the site and get the QR code you're good to go? (I guess nobody knows for sure.) I ask because I'm paranoid that the ID NOW test (a molecular NAAT test) which has been accepted suddenly will now the "checker" at the airport to question it because it contains the word "rapid' on the actual paper that indicates the result. It is not a "rapid antigen" test and is indeed molecular. I'm probably just worrying about something that I shouldn't be....And I guess nobody knows for sure what will happen come April 28, but wondering the past protocol. Thank you for any insights!

Edited: April 21, 2021, 4:07 am
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
234 reviews
118 helpful votes
5. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

bluedog423 - You are smart to question these changes as they are occurring everyday and hard to keep up with.

Please post back on here what happened when you go through the airport. I am going in May, and want to get some on the ground feedback.

Thanks.

1 post
6. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

Well, this sucks. It was announced yesterday, we leave tomorrow, and there are literally no appointments available in my area for a PCR test.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
7. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

The $300 fine goes into effect 28 April.

If you arrive tomorrow without negative results, you are required to quarantine until you get those negative results (or 14 days, whichever is shorter). This requirement has been in place since 2020.

2 posts
8. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

Any news regarding vaccinated travelers? Would they still be required to have a PCR test if they have their vaccination card?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

@Mdiggy: you still need to have a negative test.

From the Discover Puerto Rico Travel Guidelines:

"While the CDC does not require fully vaccinated travelers to get tested prior to traveling, the latest executive order in Puerto Rico maintains the requirement for a negative PCR test result from all travelers entering the Island, regardless of vaccination status."

2 posts
10. Re: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Save

@bluedog432

Thank you for the info.

Reply to: Neg PCR test REQ'D in-hand upon arrival or pay $300 fine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.