We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
157 reviews
52 helpful votes
I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

Hey folk,

Oooo wee. After 16 long months of no travel and vaccines, we've booked flights to San Juan for mid-May.

I have lots of questions and I hope some of you can help me answer.

COVID Testing: I've read a lot of comments about Pixel testing. Is there a reason why people aren't just going to CVS or Walgreens to get a test? What about the 72 hr rule. If I take it 72 pre travel, that test is going to be about 6 days old by the time I leave Puerto Rico. Will the spa not take my appointment if the test is 4 days old by the time I go there?

Snorkeling: I originally planned to go to Culebra for snorkeling but it sounds like a lot of hassle. Unreliable ferry reports, super expensive taxi to Ceiba, flights to the island, closed restaurants. I don't think I like the beach enough to deal with all this. Is the alternative to go snorkeling in San Juan? Any preferred spots, recent experiences? Are there any sailing tours with snorkeling to recommend? This would be ideal.

Music: Is there any live music right now? If so, where? I am starved for music.

Accommodations: This is my first time to Puerto Rico and I am disappointed at the Airbnb options. Everything just seems to lack the right vibe. I took a look at the resorts and more or less felt the same. Sure, the $500/night ones look awesome but that's certainly out of my budget. Any B&Bs or boutique hotels to recommend? For airbnb, any preferred neighborhoods?

Dinner: Assuming the curfew of 10 pm stays the same, what are you favorite dinner recommendations right now? Those with a nice view are preferred.

Many thanks in advance for helping me put this trip together. With all the uncertainty of covid, I feel like I forgot how to properly plan a trip.

8 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
956 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

Snake covid test needs to be within 72 hours best to have results handy because if you don't you'd need to get them within 48 hours of landing in PR or you'll get fined. Lots of nice options for airbnb in PR Ocean Park Condado Isla Verde have good ones. Depends on how many people are going.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 4:43 am
boston
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

We live in Florida and took an id now test at Walgreens. Got the results in 30 minutes. Took the test on Friday afternoons for a Monday morning departure. The plane was 4 hours late. No problems.

Right now restaurants have to be empty of all customers by 9. If not they get closed down for 2 weeks. Or so I was told. The bars in the hotels also close at 9. A dinner reservation should be 7:30 or earlier. Bars are closed. Our hotel only allowed guests to enter.

Police are everywhere in the condado area. There is a fine for not wearing a mask. $100

This was a very different vacation than pre COVID.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
157 reviews
52 helpful votes
3. Re: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

If I get a covid test and for some reason it doesn't arrive back in time, are there any airport or local places that would allow me to get one? Is it limited to PCR or can it be the quick one?

The curfew isn't that big a deal to us. When traveling, we rarely ever stay up past 10 pm anyway. We will make sure to bring snacks and drinks home just in case.

WordWideLady - I'm guessing half of the US is going to Puerto Rico in May because the airbnb options are slim pickings right now.

Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
503 posts
14 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

They have testing in the airport and tables set up for travelers who haven't filled out their travel declaration. Fill it out before you leave. If your waiting for results you'll be fine to upload them later

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
157 reviews
52 helpful votes
5. Re: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

Back to my airbnb challenge... is it crazy to stay in Bayamon and uber/taxi to San Juan daily to explore and do activities?

I found the coolest airbnb there with a glorious pool and it would just be lovely to stay somewhere private where we can enjoy the sun & pool mask free.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
6. Re: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

"is it crazy to stay in Bayamon and uber/taxi to San Juan daily"

Yes! Uber prices went up thanks to the pandemic. So much so that taxis are actually cheaper now.

There are very nice rentals in San Juan, in both Isla Verde and Condado. The condos at Marbella del Caribe building in Isla Verde consistently receive positive reviews, and I can attest to that because I rented one last month and loved it. I highly recommend it. The buildings are right on the beach, short walking distance to restaurants, across the street from Walgreens and a great pizza place.

There is really no nightlife in PR at this time. There was none when I was there with a midnight curfew. So I imagine it is non existent now with a 10om curfew.

Restaurants have long wait times, and people are even turned away. If you do go out to dinner, be sure to be at the restaurant no later than 5pm. Restaurants close at 8 pm to allow the workers to get home before 10pm.

Please do read the forum to familiarize yourself with the current restrictions and fines.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 10:15 pm
Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
503 posts
14 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

Yes, crazy to stay in Bayamon if you're going to go out side of better to look in Rio Grande or Farjado and rent a car. Search

for Wyndham Grand Rio Mar for rentals on the wyndham property. Ocean Park is another neighborhood between Isla Verde and Condado you could look at.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
157 reviews
52 helpful votes
8. Re: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Save

Thanks everyone for all the tips. At this point I’ve decided to postpone the trip. It’s my first time to PR and this seems like a not so great way to experience it. I’m going to wait a few more months until restrictions ease up and bars & music come back.

Reply to: I think I forgot How to Travel - Itinerary Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.