We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?

Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
35 posts
59 reviews
29 helpful votes
72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

I see conflicting wording on the Discover Puerto Rico website that makes me question when I need to schedule my COVID PCR test. 72 hours before I depart on my outbound flight or 72 hours from my expected arrival at SJU? I live in a rural area and getting results of a PCR test in that amount of time is dicey any way you slice it. I also am unable to even find contact info on the site to pose the question to the officials so I’m relying on those of you who have traveled there recently. Many thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

If you look at prior posts, they indicate that it's three days prior and the exact time doesn't matter. So, if you land on a Friday, you get your test on the Tuesday at the earliest.

Edited: April 19, 2021, 8:23 am
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
75 reviews
105 helpful votes
2. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

Yes, as Bluedog mentioned, they don't get hung up on it being exactly 72 hours. If I was arriving on a Friday, I'd schedule my COVID test as early as I could get in on Tuesday. You'll be fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

They worry about 3 days prior not exact time it was taken

Ammon, Idaho
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
4. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

Just so I understand - my flight leaves at 11:59 pm on a Friday and I was hoping to get results BEFORE I board along with 3 other people - but because we arrive in Puerto Rico on Saturday morning I’ll just have to hope for the best? 😬. That’s what I need to clarify. I was hoping to test Tuesday and have results Friday, so we can avoid any travel should anyone test positive.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

I'd do it Tuesday if you don't get results when you land you'd just have to get a rapid PCR in PR within 48 hours so you don't get fined

Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
35 posts
59 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

Thanks everyone for your replies! I’ve read past posts which lead me to believe 3 days was the goal as opposed to 72 hours but when I looked at the form and they asked the time of arrival I freaked a little. I arrive this Sunday so I will plan to test first thing Thursday am. Fingers crossed for fast results!

Ammon, Idaho
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
7. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

I feel your pain! I need to know Friday so we don’t board the flight! Won’t do me any good if I get the results when I land, especially if one of us is positive. I’m a gambler in most things but this is a nightmare. I understand why people are throwing in the towel!!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,308 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
8. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

@4plus8isgreat: You may want to read this: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147319-i71-k13529150-Neg_PCR_test_REQ_D_in_hand_upon_arrival_or_pay_300_fine-Puerto_Rico.html

All: The regulations have changed. A $300 fine is now in place if a negative result is not presented upon arrival at SJU.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
9. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

@paris7002 -- that goes into effect 28 April

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,308 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
10. Re: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Save

Thanks, Ray!

Reply to: 72 hours prior to boarding or prior to arrival?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.