We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary PR Living??

Level Contributor
16 posts
Temporary PR Living??
Save

I have an idea with no plan lol. So, please, tell me if I'm crazy and if not, where to start.

Considering an approx 2 month or so trip to PR. We'd like to rent an airbnb so we can continue to work from home. We have 2 elementary school aged kids who would continue homeschooling. We are flexible on dates, originally thinking this May but now keeping an eye on covid restrictions (we're vaccinated, obviously kids are not).

Is this doable? Where do you recommend we look to stay? Do we need to rent a car?

15 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
149 reviews
223 helpful votes
1. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

Should be fine. Make sure the AirBnB has excellent Wi-Fi. That’s not always the case, depending on where you are. I don’t think anyone can tell you where to locate; that depends on what you like. You can probably get away without a car if you’re staying in a central area in San Juan and don’t intend to do trips to other places on the island. You can walk and take the bus or taxi/uber in central areas in San Juan. Outside San Juan, or if you plan a bunch of trips, you will want/need a car. Cars might be in short supply and expensive now, so check on that before you commit.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
2. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

It's certainly not a crazy idea. Now that many work from home, temporary relocations have become a possibility.

I completely agree with the post above. You definitely need reliable internet service, which isn't the case everywhere in PR. So picking the right place is crucial.

Also, you'll want to go outside of hurricane season (late August thru early November). The reason being is when there's a storm, the first this to go will be the power service, and with that, internet service. And if there's a hurricane, well, it's just scary. I wouldn't recommend that kind of experience to adults, let alone children.

You will definitely need a car anywhere outside the San Juan area. You won't need one in San Juan, but considering the length of your stay, it would be convenient to have one because taxi and Uber may be more expensive depending on how many trips you take, and the size of your party. Just be sure to select an apartment or house rental that includes free parking.

Edited: April 19, 2021, 8:12 pm
LS
New York City, New...
13 posts
3. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

I lucked into an early vaccine and I've been living and working remotely until the remote work perk ends all over the Caribbean since January and this is now my second month in PR. Confirm with the host the speed of internet, and check your coverage with your mobile carrier. I've had no more tech problems elsewhere in the Caribbean or here in PR than I did back home, though obviously if something happens to my hardware I have to go home to get it fixed, so I'm very careful and guarded with it. There also could be a power outage, but so far they've been rare, and I keep batteries around to charge my phone and have my dial-ins for calls written down for the next few days so that I can still participate even if my laptop has problems. In theory I could tether my laptop off my phone, but I haven't needed to yet.

No kids. But if there's multiple people on Zoom you really need decent internet. I also have a car which I use every day to go get food from restaurants, go do things on weekends, and go to the gym and grocery stores. Car rentals can be extremely expensive if not booked in advance. I booked mine, one month at a time, months ago. As everyone else says, sort out your car situation FIRST. Every month I move to a different AirBnB. Have not been into San Juan, too crowded and crazy for me, wanted some peace and sun since I live in a city normally. I really liked the Fajardo area.

New York
Level Contributor
951 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

My bosses son has been there since late February early March he's working from home. He rented a car as his home was in Isabela which he rented on airbnb. His dad went to visit him and his friends but he entertained everyone on the weekends. He moved to Rincon for about a week and is now in Fajardo with his mom. You can certainly do it but as everyone has said you need a good wifi and to stay in SJ if your not getting a car. Go and enjoy the beautiful island

Edited: April 20, 2021, 2:34 am
2 posts
5. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

I did this for a month while kids were still virtual. We based ourselves in a Rio Mar Airbnb. This was a great spot for us as we had good beach access but also near El Yunque rainforest.

We hit Costco at the beginning of the month so we could cook most meals. By the time the work and school day were done, there was only an hour or two before sundown. Great to hit the beach or pool and break up the monotony of the past year.

Definitely recommend a car if staying in this area. The island is so small that days trips to San Juan, Culebra, Ponce, etc on the the weekends enabled us to see other parts of the island.

We did split our stay and spent some time in the mountains, which I highly recommend.

Dresher...
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

Those of you who have rented cars long term, who did you rent from and do you mind sharing how much it was? We will be living in PR next winter for two months and the rental car part of it is so expensive. Any tips appreciated. So far the best I could come up with is enterprise for a little over $1k/month.

For the original poster, I hope it’s doable because we are planning to do it. :-) We have rented a condo on the beach for January and February through Airbnb and confirmed the internet speed with the owner. Fingers crossed that things will be a bit more normal by then!

LS
New York City, New...
13 posts
7. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

Between January and now I've paid $625-850 for a monthly rental with the toll pass and a single driver. Every month I exchange the car because of insurance rules about going over a month. I can't find anything that good now for any time after my last one runs out in June though. In PR I've used both Popular Auto and Charlie. There will be a wait for the shuttle with either, if you can't handle that, get a cab, it's still cheaper than picking up in the airport. You also need to read the T&C carefully and bring proof of credit card coverage for damage to the car itself AND proof of liability coverage, if any, which I have from owning and insuring a car at home. With those both printed out, I had no surprise fees. Failure to read will result in very large fees for insurance that are a surprise, but shouldn't be, and also enormous delays for everyone as one scrambles to call one's auto insurer to get some proof sent and hold up the line, while I stand behind judging and seething. Just print it. Bring it.

Level Contributor
16 posts
8. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

Hi Talla! We spent February and March 2021 living and working remotely in Puerto Rico. We booked through VRBO (much better cancellation policies than Airbnb) and made sure to ask the host about internet speeds.

We stayed in Fajardo (east side of the island) for the 1st month then moved over to Rincon (west side of the island) for the month of March and spent 2 nights in Old San Juan. Definitely rent a car, you will need one to get around the island especially if you want to see some sites. We rented monthly through Sixt Car Rental and it worked out great. We loved Puerto Rico, it was first time visiting and we will definitely go back.

We have a YouTube video all about what to expect traveling to Puerto Rico and we will be posting more info soon if you want to check it out. We will be posting another video about transportation and renting a car in Puerto Rico soon! http://wanderinghartz.com/travel/what-its-like-traveling-to-puerto-rico-in-2021/

If you have any more questions let us know, happy to help!

Dresher...
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
7 helpful votes
9. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

LS - What rules for insurance say you can't rent for more than a month? I am not familiar with any rules like that. I currently have a reservation through Enterprise for a 2 month rental...? Thanks for the tip on bringing documentation.

Wanderinghartz - I went to Sixt's site and they said they couldn't rent from San Juan airport and the closest location was Dominican Republic?

I did read today that there are huge issues with rental cars everywhere, and that rental rates are so high in Hawaii ($700+ per day) that people are renting Uhauls instead!

LS
New York City, New...
13 posts
10. Re: Temporary PR Living??
Save

The rules that are in my insurance policies with both Chase Sapphire Reserve and USAA. Have you read your own insurance policies to understand exactly what they do and do not cover?

Reply to: Temporary PR Living??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.