We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week driving itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 week driving itinerary
Save

We're planning a trip to Puerto Rico, late this year or early next. We're thinking of renting a car and driving around the island for 2 weeks to visit many of the highlights. We've being doing some research and would like to have a good combination of culture, nature, beaches and food. From reviewing we're thinking of the following starting and ending in San Juan where we'll be flying to/from

3 nights - Condado (Beaches, Bicardi, visit observatory and caves on the way to Rincon)

3 nights - Rincon (Rincon beaches, day trip to Rojo Cabo/San German, visit Gilligans/dry Forest) Island/Ponce on the way to Jacaya)

2 nights - Jacaya (coffee, hiking, visit Lechonera in Guavate on the way to Luquillo (would be a Sunday))

2 nights - Luquillo (El Yunque, beach, food kiosks)

2 nights - Vieques (Beaches, bioluminescent bay)

2 nights - Old San Juan

It feels like a lot of moving about, but when I look at the map it seems to make sense vs staying in less placing and doing day trips which would ultimately mean more driving, and more backtracking.

We'd also like to fit in a day trip to Culebra, but not sure how best to accommodate, is it possible to get the ferry to Culebra, back to the mainland and then to Vieques in one day? that way we could visit the 2 islands in 3 days, with 2 nights on Vieques.

We also like the idea of staying in two different areas in San Juan to experience, the modern and the history of the city, but we could replace that with a longer stay in one area.

We were also considering staying in Jacaya or Ponce, I think we're leaning towards Jacaya as it will give us a different experience in the hills, but Ponce may be easier? thoughts?

Appreciate any advice.

3 replies to this topic
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: 2 week driving itinerary
Save

That's certainly a ton of driving. But if you don't mind traffic and spending a lot of time in a car, it's a good way to see most of the island.

By "Jacaya", do you mean Jayuya? If so, I'll leave this one to others because mountain are definitely not my thing (I'm prone to motion sickness). I think I have relatives there I've never met because of that reason

The antenna at the observatory recently crumbled, so I'm not sure it's worth a visit, or if the observatory is even open under the circumstances.

One thing to keep in mind about the ferry is that it's highly not recommended. The reason being is it is not reliable (cancelations and delays are the norm). So considering everything you want to cover, it's definitely not a good idea to use it. Flying is the way to go, and might allow you to visit both islands.

Onalaska, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
133 posts
40 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: 2 week driving itinerary
Save

The observatory is closed according to everything I've found. We scratched it off our trip early in the planning.

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: 2 week driving itinerary
Save

I personally don't think you need to do Culebra AND Vieques. I would settle on one this trip and then do the other another time. We loved Culebra and would defintely go back but we also want to see Vieques next time so probably will just pick one for the next trip. We flew to Culebra from Ceiba on Flamenco Air and highly recommend getting to either or both that way.

Edited: April 21, 2021, 4:19 am
Reply to: 2 week driving itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.