We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute first time trip to Puerto Rico!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
25 reviews
24 helpful votes
Last minute first time trip to Puerto Rico!
Save

I’m so excited! I just received a job offer and I’m taking an impromptu visit to Puerto Rico for 12 days. I’m normally a big planner so this is quite a change for me. I’m traveling with a friend and we’ve traveled extensively through Spain. We love history, good food, wine and getting to know the culture of where we are visiting. We love venturing off the beaten path but we aren’t particularly into sports.

Our itinerary:

Old San Juan - 4 nights

Rent car after visiting San Juan:

Mayagüez - 2 nights

Ponce - 3 nights

Luquillo - 2 nights

We have booked our hotels. I’d appreciate any input on places to visit on route between San Juan and Mayagüez, Mayagüez and Ponce, and Ponce and Luquillo. Also day trips and don’t miss sights. I’d like to book a rainforest visit for the time we are in Luquillo but I’m not sure how.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

1 reply
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: Last minute first time trip to Puerto Rico!
Save

Congrats!

Mayaguez is just a suburban town. Unless you have family there, there's really nothing to do there. I would trade Mayaguez for Cabo Rojo (fantastic beaches and seafood) or Rincon (surf town).

Also, please familiarize yourself with the current travel restrictions. They have been documented throughout this forum. The latest: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147319-i71-k13526307-Changes_to_Executive_Order_going_into_effect_17_April-Puerto_Rico.html#109719529

Reply to: Last minute first time trip to Puerto Rico!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.