We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly an impossible question to answer.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
885 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

My husband and I are snowbirds who like to go somewhere for January and February. We were considering New Zealand but residents are saying they probably won't be open yet because they haven't even begun to be vaccinated. What about Puerto Rico? We've never been. We loved the country of Panama and would love to return but I doubt they'll be in any better position. I don't know how to start planning.

Thoughts?

12 replies to this topic
boston
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

This is a tough question to answer. I guess start with what’s important to you and go from there. We have been considering PR for many years for partial retirement. It’s stayed on the short list. Possibly Rincon. There are a lot of ex-pats in that area and we really like the west coast. For us it’s a matter of needing wifi to work remote, needing a somewhat short direct flight from Boston. My partner isn’t fluent in Spanish so that plays a part. And we just love Puerto Rico in general and would like to be able to spend a long weekend on Vieques or in San Juan here and there.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
885 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
2. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

I don't think you understand what I was asking, but you were right in that it's a tough question to answer!LOL

My biggest concern is whether or not P.R. will even be open to tourists next January. If vaccinations have begun there or will begin this summer, they'll probably be open. So many countries don't have access to vaccinations like we do in the U.S.

Thanks, jdgosox.

boston
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

Ahhhh. Well that’s way easier to answer. Read a bit on the recent forum posts. PR is open. With guidelines for safety. And is fairly crowded right now

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
4. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

"My biggest concern is whether or not P.R. will even be open to tourists next January."

PR is already open to tourists. (Please do search the forum and familiarize yourself with the current restrictions and requirements.)

"If vaccinations have begun there or will begin this summer, they'll probably be open."

PR is already almost halfway through the vaccination process. The government has been very good at trying to keep the locals safe (which is one of the reasons for the strict restrictions).

"So many countries don't have access to vaccinations like we do in the U.S."

PR is a US territory that has access to the vaccine, and is doing a great job distributing it (unlike the mainland US, sorry to say).

Edited: April 07, 2021, 7:46 pm
wisconsin
Level Contributor
885 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
5. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

Actually vaccinations are being given rapidly and in mass amounts. I don't know too many people anymore that haven't at least gotten their first shot. Don't listen to the media. Or at least that's the way it is in Wisconsin.

But this is good news if people in P.R. are getting vaccinated now. There are some countries that are open to tourism right now but that doesn't mean they will be come January and February when we want to travel. The reason is because they don't have access to vaccines yet. Since Puerto Rico is a part of the U.S., I was banking on them having access to the vaccine. I am going to go ahead and start planning our time there then. This is sooooo exciting AND a relief!!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
6. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

"Or at least that's the way it is in Wisconsin."

You are lucky then. I can assure you that isn't the case in all states. In PA, for example, where most residents are still waiting to qualify for the first dose. Slow doesn't even begin to describe the vaccination process here.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
9,544 posts
24 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

Love your Sammy! I have 3. Ohio has been pretty good with vaccinations. Got my second last saturday. Open to everyone 16 and up. Each state is different. The advantages of PR are many. The biggest for me is that it is part of the US. US Banking so you can access your accounts using the ATMs. My health insurance was accepted as was my auto insurance. Very similar to going to any state.

1 post
8. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

PuertoRico Rico is a beautiful island, the locals are friendly, there is so much to do on the island. With Covid they are very careful, most businesses take your temp as you enter and give you hand sanitizer, masks are also required.

If your just wanting to come for a month or two in the winter I recommend working out a deal with an Airbnb, you may get a discount for renting more than a week? The San Juan side has a lot of night life, great restaurants, great shopping and your close to a lot of attractions. The Condado area is my favorite area, it has the beach, shopping, restaurants, grocery store, hospital/medical and it’s pretty safe for walking around. Condado is touristy but also residential.

The other side of the island like Rincon, Mauaguez, is a little more quiet, the beaches are great especially if you like to surf. The other side of the island also has great restaurants. The other side of the island is a little rural unless you are right in town. You could always go to PR for a week and stay a few days on both sides of the island to see which area you like. I hope my post is helpful.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
885 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
9. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

paris, that really bites. That's how it started here, but not an issue anymore. Hopefully things will speed up.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
885 posts
130 reviews
92 helpful votes
10. Re: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Save

PR, I'm jealous you have 3 Samoyeds!!! We've had two in the past but both passed away. Both lived to 15 years old. We travel too much for a dog. I would absolutely love to have another Sammy but I also one to rescue some dogs. Such a need. Hug your land clouds for me!

Edited: April 09, 2021, 6:49 am
Reply to: Possibly an impossible question to answer.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.