We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to walk around San Juan?

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
39 posts
Safe to walk around San Juan?
Save

My family is taking a cruise from San Juan next April. If we fly in the day before and stay overnight is it safe to walk around? What do we do with our luggage the next day after checking out until we can board the ship? What interesting things can we see or do in that little time?

7 replies to this topic
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: Safe to walk around San Juan?
Save

Where are you staying?

The touristic areas of Old San Juan, Isla Verde, and Condado are all perfectly safe. Just use the same precautions you would use at home: avoid dark and/or isolated areas, and don't go into the La Perla community (it looks cute, but it's definitely not a place to wander into).

You can ask your hotel to hold your luggage, or you can store it at Barrachina hotel (for a fee).

What to see depends on where you're staying. If it is San Juan, then Old San Juan and the forts.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
39 posts
2. Re: Safe to walk around San Juan?
Save

I didn't pick a hotel yet, but probably somewhere not too far from the cruise dock. Can you recommend some nice, but not 5 star hotels?

Boston...
Level Contributor
46,463 posts
1,226 reviews
308 helpful votes
3. Re: Safe to walk around San Juan?
Save

We found the Sheraton there to be very comfortable. THE place to stay, there is https://www.elconvento.com/

It was double the Sheraton's price when we were there last year so we had to pass.

Edited: April 01, 2021, 12:11 am
Reading, PA
Level Contributor
39 posts
4. Re: Safe to walk around San Juan?
Save

Thanks very much for your info.

New York
Level Contributor
959 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Safe to walk around San Juan?
Save

Loads of airbnbs that are nice and affordable

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6. Re: Safe to walk around San Juan?
Save

Thanks, I've never used one. Who would I contact?

Boston...
Level Contributor
46,463 posts
1,226 reviews
308 helpful votes
7. Re: Safe to walk around San Juan?
Save

Contact Airbnb? Www.Airbnb.com

Reply to: Safe to walk around San Juan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.