We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid test to return to the US

Clare, Michigan
Level Contributor
135 posts
22 reviews
27 helpful votes
Covid test to return to the US
Save

Our daughter and her family of four are vacationing in Puerto Rico and she wondered if there is a required negative Covid-19 test to return to the US. They were told that they needed this but everything they have read indicates that they do not need it.

Does anyone have/know where to find this information. Thanks in advance.

Chadrock

7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid test to return to the US
Save

The CDC regulations state that no Covid test required if traveling between U.S. states and territories. PR is a domestic flight as its part of the U.S.

Your daughter should check the CDC traveler requirements as well as those of the state she is returning to as the state might have a different requirement. Also, check with the airline to see what they require

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
125 reviews
64 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid test to return to the US
Save

Tests are not required. Some states, like NY, have a kinda, sorta, voluntary thing, but to my knowledge there are no states that require them and there is NO Federal requirement.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46,424 posts
1,226 reviews
308 helpful votes
3. Re: Covid test to return to the US
Save

When are they leaving the US??

Their home state might have rules they should look into

New York
Level Contributor
953 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Covid test to return to the US
Save

@WTPA My boss just returned to NYC and as much as I told him he didn't need a test he got one and according to him when he showed it was told he didn't need to quarantine

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
162 reviews
306 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid test to return to the US
Save

We did not need a test to return to the mainland US. We were there about two weeks ago. No health checks or anything to check in, get on the plane or after landing.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
11,313 posts
49 reviews
61 helpful votes
6. Re: Covid test to return to the US
Save

She should check her state's requirements because some states do "require" a test (though it is not enforced).

Frederick, Maryland
9 posts
7. Re: Covid test to return to the US
Save

You don’t need a covid test to return to the mainland. I do test every time I return before I work again here just to be safe but it isn’t required.

Reply to: Covid test to return to the US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.