We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or St. Martin

Los Angeles...
4 posts
1 review
Punta Cana or St. Martin
Save

Looking to travel in late May/early June with a boyfriend. Looking for good food, relaxing beaches, and a little adventure. Anyone been to Punta Cana or St. Martin?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Punta Cana or St. Martin
Save

I have been to both and you cannot go wrong with either destination. For myself I would perfer French St. Martin if I had to choose for the fantastic food in the Grand Case area plus being easy day trip or over nighters distance to Anguilla, St Barts and Saba.

Edited: 8 years ago
louisiana
Level Contributor
245 posts
75 reviews
95 helpful votes
2. Re: Punta Cana or St. Martin
Save

I also have been to both and if you are looking for adventure I would recommend st.martin. Like the previous response you are a short ferry ride from Anguilla IMO one of the best beaches in the world. Another factor maybe budget Anguilla and st.martin can be very pricey compared to DR. I would recommend a couple days on Anguilla if you do go. If you are looking to not go off the resort much with the exception to a few excursions I would say DR. Another great option is Barbados. It is safe, beautiful, and a great place to explore!

Addison
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Punta Cana or St. Martin
Save

If you would take a day trip to Anguilla, is it by boat or by small plane? How did you book the day trip to get there? I never thought about doing that, but very interested.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Punta Cana or St. Martin
Save

You can fly or ferry but the ferry is cheaper. Do a google search for Anguilla Ferry service and it should be able to get all the info you need.

Edited: 8 years ago
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Punta Cana or St. Martin
Save

I would say St Maarten

louisiana
Level Contributor
245 posts
75 reviews
95 helpful votes
6. Re: Punta Cana or St. Martin
Save

I just booked the ferry when we got there looked at the schedule online and then went there at that time if I remember correctly. The ferry isn't a ride long at all about an hour and $15 one way. I don't think it would be worth e extra money to take a plane. You could also do a day trip to st. Barths too via ferry.

K B
Framingham...
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
30 helpful votes
7. Re: Punta Cana or St. Martin
Save

I have been to both and it really depends on what you are looking to do, what is important to you, and how much you want to spend. St. Martin/St. Maarten offers amazing gourmet dining if you are a foodie - the food in the DR is fine but certainly nothing to drool over lol. St. Martin is more interesting to drive around and the differences between the Dutch and French side are quite apparent. You also have more interesting shopping and excursions. However, a trip to St. Martin will generally be MUCH more expensive when all is said and done than a trip to the DR.

8. Re: Punta Cana or St. Martin

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: April 12, 2014, 1:17 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.